Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Wet GFCI

I had taken off the cover off my GFCI plug in the restroom and I got it wet it started to smoke now there are more plugs that don't work. So I went it out and bought one just got one that looked alike is there different amp in that type of plug I replaced it there is a light that is one the Plug but on power in the outlets. what could be the problem.

DMCM81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Wet GFCI

You may have it wired wrong. Exactly what wires are in the box, and how are they connected? Pictures would be helpful.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #3

Wet GFCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMCM81 View Post
I had taken off the cover off my GFCI plug in the restroom and I got it wet it started to smoke now there are more plugs that don't work. So I went it out and bought one just got one that looked alike is there different amp in that type of plug I replaced it there is a light that is one the Plug but on power in the outlets. what could be the problem.
There is different GFCIs. 15 and 20 amp. If your wire is 14 gauge it will be 15 amp. If 12 gauge 20 amp. As for it not coming on; make sure the breaker didn't trip; the GFCI must be reset once power is back up (turn breaker off, install GFCI, turn breaker switch on, reset GFCI.
dreamland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:33 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Wet GFCI

To add to post 3, a 15 amp is commonly used on both 15 & 20 amp circuits. Only time you would use a 20 amp gfci, is someplace where you are going to use 20 amp devices, that have the one horizontal plug. As for the light, depends on the
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
NJMarine (01-22-2013)
Old 01-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #5

Wet GFCI

Ok here is what I have done and what I bought is this correct let me know here is some pics I see the green light on but no power out the plugs
Attached Thumbnails
Wet GFCI-image-1197007046.jpg   Wet GFCI-image-2005928402.jpg   Wet GFCI-image-1372167941.jpg   Wet GFCI-image-2610181869.jpg   Wet GFCI-image-1575972412.jpg  

Old 01-22-2013, 08:52 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Wet GFCI

Is that Heatshrink or tape all over the wires that I am seeing? You need to find the Line which is hot, hook that to the Line side. As for why you have two sets of wires to the other terminal, that is also what I am curious about. BTW, the instructions tell you what the light will do if you have it connected correctly or incorrect.

I have both Pass & Seymour & Leviton Pro's in my home. The P&S only light up Red when tripped. The Legrands will be green if on and not tripped, or Green if wired incorrectly.

From Leviton's website:

A line-load reversal diagnostic feature is provided which prevents the GFCI from being reset and stops power from being fed to the GFCI receptacle face or through to downstream devices. A green LED indicator on the GFCI's face also illuminates to alert the installer to the line-load wiring reversal.

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/Produ...minisite=10251
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #7
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

Wet GFCI

Have you pushed the test and reset button on the GFCI?
Old 01-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #8
Electrical Contractor

Wet GFCI

Started to replay and had to step out. Now I see you posted pictures what is up with the shrink wrap tubing? Did you connect this the same way the old one was? Do you have a multimeter?
Old 01-22-2013, 09:09 PM   #9

Wet GFCI

Yes it's heat shrink and it was already there but I connected the same way I took off the old one.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:11 PM   #10

Wet GFCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMCM81
Yes it's heat shrink and it was already there but I connected the same way I took off the old one.
There is 3 wires on one side and 3 on there and ground on the bottom
Old 01-22-2013, 09:25 PM   #11
Electrical Contractor

Wet GFCI

You will need a meter to verify that the wires are correct it's possible that the connections on the back of this GFCI are different of maybe a wire got moved around.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:28 PM   #12

Wet GFCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrolleston
You will need a meter to verify that the wires are correct it's possible that the connections on the back of this GFCI are different of maybe a wire got moved around.
Thanks I will have to get one
Old 01-22-2013, 09:43 PM   #13
Resi EC

Wet GFCI

Look at the back of the old GFCI receptacle, you should see a 'LINE' and a 'LOAD'.
Look at the new one you will see the same, only difference is that the line and load will be different, thus green light no power.
For some reason Leviton has changed the 'LINE' and 'LOAD' terminals, so, (no fault of yours) its wired backwards.
Gac66610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:54 PM   #14

Wet GFCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gac66610
Look at the back of the old GFCI receptacle, you should see a 'LINE' and a 'LOAD'.
Look at the new one you will see the same, only difference is that the line and load will be different, thus green light no power.
For some reason Leviton has changed the 'LINE' and 'LOAD' terminals, so, (no fault of yours) its wired backwards.
Here is what the old one looks like
Attached Thumbnails
Wet GFCI-image-1555516397.jpg  
Old 01-22-2013, 10:05 PM   #15
Resi EC

Wet GFCI

Yeah, 'LINE' on bottom "LOAD' on top.
I'll bet the new one has "LOAD' on bottom and 'LINE' on top.

Reverse your wires and it should work fine.

Turn power off first

Gac66610 is offline   Reply With Quote