Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-22-2011, 01:02 AM   #1

Share |

Westchester, NY: Where can I locally buy a multimeter with MFD testing support?

I'm looking to test capacitors on my broken air conditioner. I need a multimeter with MFD support. I have the following places near me
Home Depot, WalMart, Target, Costco.

Anyway I'm looking to get a hold of one fast, so I was thinking some place local rather than order from the internet. I live in Westchester County, N.Y. Does anyone know a local place where I can buy a multimeter with MFD support? I was hoping HomeDepot had one but I can't find one on their website (or maybe I'm not looking right).

Thanks
Deck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:03 AM   #2
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

The Klein MM1000 measures capacitance up to 4000uF, and more than one Home Depot near you has them in stock. I'm sure other meters there also measure capacitance, but this was the first one I checked and I stopped looking when I found it. Plenty of multimeters measure capacitance. However, you probably don't really need to measure capacitance. You probably just need to check that the capacitors are functional, not determine their actual values. You can do that with any ohmmeter. First make sure the capacitor is discharged by shorting the leads. Then connect the ohmmeter to it, preferably on a fairly high resistance scale (10K or 100K would be good), if you can select the range. It should initially indicate no resistance, then the reading should climb. This may happen almost instantly (less than a second), or it may take awhile. Eventually it should read very high resistance - at least 10's of k-ohms. If this happens, the capacitor is functioning normally.

You can also use a volt meter and a 9V battery. Just connect the battery to the capacitor, remove it, and rapidly measure the voltage on the capacitor with a digital meter on DC volts. It should read close to the battery voltage and drop fairly slowly.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mpoulton For This Useful Post:
Deck (07-22-2011)
Old 07-22-2011, 04:01 AM   #3

Fluke meter or a Mr.Cappy.
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:38 AM   #4
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck View Post
I'm looking to test capacitors on my broken air conditioner. I need a multimeter with MFD support. I have the following places near me
Home Depot, WalMart, Target, Costco.
You're in Westchester. You have A LOT more than that around you.

Try an electrical supply house. Google is your friend, or the Yellow Pages if you're old school.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:59 AM   #5

Thanks for your replies I'm going to get a Klein MM1000. It's $60 at Home Depot.
Deck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:43 PM   #6

An ESR meter will be much more useful than a multimeter for testing caps. It will cost roughly $100--$200. There is a comparison of various ESR meters from a test equipment dealer that should give you some idea of what's available.
Matsukaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:55 PM   #7

check Grainger and even Sears up there hardware dept or store they have a line of meters...thought i saw a Grainger off the 287 elmsford SAW MILL RIVER ROAD exit they are open saturdays..check the on line catalog for meters.....Abco Supply just west of the CC Center FULTON ST for a cappy tester

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by biggles; 07-22-2011 at 08:00 PM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote