Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2009, 06:58 PM   #1
I love fishing & building

Rewards Points: 10

Were to get power supply for new closet

Hey guys I have been tearing down walls and getting ready to install sheetrock. I a also turining a opeaning into a closet. Before I start hanging the sheetrock I want to get the new closet light circuit in.

My problem is not knowing were to take the power from. On one wall that is now opean I have 3 differnt switchs. 1 controls the livingrooms fan and light. The other is a switch that is not in use for a outlet. How do I tap a wire for a new circuit since the switches in that location would kill circuit if I tied into those leads? I also have to spice in a box for access I know that so is there a way to over ride the switches?

Thanx John

Sharkbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:18 PM   #2
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

If you are lucky one of those switches might have a direct power feed. Is there 2 white wires coming in and two black coming out? If yes you just need to find out which goes to the light and which comes from a power source and branch off that. A volt meter while the switch is off may help.

If all switches only have 2 wires then the lights they control are fed from the light junction box so you'd have to pull from there which would involve going in the attic, most likely.

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:30 PM   #3

Ok I been doing alot of reading and from what I understand I can take the power from the other switches by using a pigtail for my positive lead. Then tie a new lead to the switch that is alread in use and that would work fine. I will run the white lead derectly to the light and the black goes to the switch.

Is this correct?
Old 10-22-2009, 08:52 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Is this correct?

Uhhhh....kind of.

In your switchbox you will probably see a some bare grounds tied together, some whites tied together and some blacks tied together with short wires going to each switch.

The 2 wire cable you use to power the closet light will have a black, a white and a bare.

Black and white = 120 volt power (hot and neutral). The bare is a grounding conductor that attaches to anything metal (boxes, fixtures etc.)

If you just want a pull chain fixture in the closet, simply run the power directly to the light jbox.

If you want it to be controlled by a switch, run the cable to a switch box first, then to the light. In the switch box, tie the bares together, tie the whites together and attach one black to each switch terminal.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220/221 View Post
Uhhhh....kind of.

In your switchbox you will probably see a some bare grounds tied together, some whites tied together and some blacks tied together with short wires going to each switch.

The 2 wire cable you use to power the closet light will have a black, a white and a bare.

Black and white = 120 volt power (hot and neutral). The bare is a grounding conductor that attaches to anything metal (boxes, fixtures etc.)

If you just want a pull chain fixture in the closet, simply run the power directly to the light jbox.

If you want it to be controlled by a switch, run the cable to a switch box first, then to the light. In the switch box, tie the bares together, tie the whites together and attach one black to each switch terminal.
Ok so I don't need to run the black from the swich that is already there to the new switch first? I can run the supply to the light then to the switch?
Old 10-22-2009, 09:36 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Ok so I don't need to run the black from the swich that is already there to the new switch first?

You are not taking power from a switch. You are taking power from the black wires that supply the switch. You could attach the black wire to the hot terminal of one of the switches but the standard method would be to tie it to the group of blacks under a wirenut.

Quote:
I can run the supply to the light then to the switch?
Sure...If you want to make it more complicated.

In the light jbox, tie the incoming black power wire to the white wire that goes to the switch.

Tie the incoming white neutral to the fixture white. Tie the black wire returning from the switch to the fixture black.

Mark both ends of the switches white wire with black tape to indicate that they are hot instead of neutrals.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220/221 View Post
You are not taking power from a switch. You are taking power from the black wires that supply the switch. You could attach the black wire to the hot terminal of one of the switches but the standard method would be to tie it to the group of blacks under a wirenut.

Sure...If you want to make it more complicated.

In the light jbox, tie the incoming black power wire to the white wire that goes to the switch.

Tie the incoming white neutral to the fixture white. Tie the black wire returning from the switch to the fixture black.

Mark both ends of the switches white wire with black tape to indicate that they are hot instead of neutrals.

Thanks for your help I think I will keep it simple. I will spice into the black that is already in the other box. I will run the black to the switch and then from the switch to the light. The I will spice the white in that same box then run that directly to the light. As well as the ground This is correct rite?