Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-04-2010, 01:52 PM   #1

Share |

went to change kitchen light to ceiling fan and...

I am greeted with more wires than I know what do to with! ha ha.

We bought this house last year its almost 100 years old, 200amp service, and the electrical is a nightmare. Some outlets are grounded, some are not.

Anyways the circuit the kitchen light is on, also is the same circuit for an attached mudroom, a storage room and the garage.

I wish I had the skills to re-wire everything properly, but anyways.

I've attached pictures to show what I'm looking at. It looks like there is some copper (I assume is grounding) wiring in the back of the box.

Any suggestions? (other than win the lottery and totally redo the house wiring lol)
Attached Thumbnails
went to change kitchen light to ceiling fan and...-ceiling1.jpg   went to change kitchen light to ceiling fan and...-ceiling2.jpg  
alexd1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:59 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

The first thing that you will need to do is to change out that box for one that is rated for fan support.

What wires were connected to the old fixture that was there? How many switches are involved?

Based on the splices I would say all the blacks are a constant hot, while one of the reds is a switch controlled hot. This should be verified.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
The first thing that you will need to do is to change out that box for one that is rated for fan support.

What wires were connected to the old fixture that was there? How many switches are involved?

Based on the splices I would say all the blacks are a constant hot, while one of the reds is a switch controlled hot. This should be verified.
Thank you,

Just a red and a white wire were connected to this one light that has one light switch controlling it.
alexd1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 02:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
I am glad that I found this thread as I am in a similar situation... How can one tell just by looking at the box that it is or is not rated for fan support?
MarD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:59 PM   #5
Licensed electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarD View Post
I am glad that I found this thread as I am in a similar situation... How can one tell just by looking at the box that it is or is not rated for fan support?
I was basing that on the apparent age of the box and also the fact that only the standard mounting ears are on the box. Some fan rated boxes have a metal boxlike boss that pivots to accept 8/32 or 10/32 screws. Some other style boxes also have holes for the longer mounting screws to pass thru the back of the box and out into a thick mounting plate.