Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2008, 11:58 AM   #1

Share |

Well Pump Wiring

I am trying to wire up my well pump which is about 400 feet from the house. I believe it has a 1.5 hp motor. My questions are to find out what size wire I have to run and what size breaker it should have in the panel. Also, I'd like to know the different if the motor were to be 2 hp or 3 hp. Thanks for any help that can be provided.

BigGreen22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:42 PM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Well Pump Wiring

What did the well installer say? Usually they run the wire to the house.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:01 PM   #3

Well Pump Wiring

Unfortunately I purchased this house from the bank because it was being built but the builder couldn't finish it. I don't have much of a record to find out the information on so now I'm stuck trying to pick up the pieces. The well was in and the conduit had been run but the wire hasn't be ran through the conduit. I might have to call around and find out who put it in but I was hoping it would be easy to answer.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:28 PM   #4

Well Pump Wiring

Is there wire at the top of the well head? If so can you tell what size it is?
Old 03-12-2008, 03:21 PM   #5

Well Pump Wiring

Keep it simple right That's the easiest and best idea I've heard. I'll check it tonight and see what it is. How do I determine the breaker size to use?
Old 03-12-2008, 03:33 PM   #6
Master Of Nothing

Well Pump Wiring

On my well pump, I have it submersed in the well about 40 ft or so. In MY case, I ran 12-2 w/ gnd UF up and into a 20amp double pole breaker just below my meter. Mine is a 2 wire pump so wasn't that hard to connect.

Like i said mine is submersed and I done what the guy at the parts house told me to do. Everything works out fine in my case. Yours may be different since your running a longer footage than mine. But im sure some of the others will chime on on this one.

Mike
mr500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:39 PM   #7

Well Pump Wiring

If you are 400' out, and who knows how deep, it will likely be #8 or #6 wire.
You size the breaker according to the load. You need to know the exact load the motor pulls. At 1.5hp you will likely use a 20A breaker, two-pole of course.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:10 PM   #8
Building and plumbing

Well Pump Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
If you are 400' out, and who knows how deep, it will likely be #8 or #6 wire.
You size the breaker according to the load. You need to know the exact load the motor pulls. At 1.5hp you will likely use a 20A breaker, two-pole of course.
i am a licensed master plumber and I must say that I agree, agree with one minor thing, WHAT VOLTAGE IS THE PUMP?
Most I install are 220, but the one at my house is a 110. Yes they do make a 110 volt submersable pump AND the new jet pumps are changable from 110 to 220. FIND THE VOLTAGE before you burn the pump.
USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:23 PM   #9

Well Pump Wiring

Any ideas on the best way to find out what the voltage is as well as to confirm the size and all? It's in the ground which is the trouble I've been running into.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:41 PM   #10
Master Of Nothing

Well Pump Wiring

GREEN,

Don't know if this helps, but my pump came with decals to affix to the inside of my breaker panel. Shows amps, volts, HP the whole 9 yard. don't know if thats the same in your case and u may have already looked there. Just to drop that in the mix

Mike
mr500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:19 PM   #11

Well Pump Wiring

USP is correct, but I have never seen a 120v deep well pump. By deep well I mean ~75' and down.
This is especially true for larger pumps such as the OP's 1.5hp.
Consider the voltage drop on a 120v 1.5hp motor at +/-600' !! It would be near impossible to circuit a motor like that as 120v.
This is why they are typically 240v.

Jet pumps are typically 120v, but as stated usually can be converted to 240v.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:21 PM   #12
Building and plumbing

Well Pump Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
USP is correct, but I have never seen a 120v deep well pump. By deep well I mean ~75' and down.
This is especially true for larger pumps such as the OP's 1.5hp.
Consider the voltage drop on a 120v 1.5hp motor at +/-600' !! It would be near impossible to circuit a motor like that as 120v.
This is why they are typically 240v.

Jet pumps are typically 120v, but as stated usually can be converted to 240v.
Speedy, yes they do make deep well pumps 120 volt. When I bought my house they made the real estate pay for a new well. They did not want to spend much money (Typical huh?) so they used a 120 volt pump. This thing has been pumping now for 27 years and is still going strong.
USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:43 PM   #13

Well Pump Wiring

Oh, I know they are made. And in situations like yours they get installed. Obviously your installation is not so bad that it has lasted many years.

Like I said though, at very long distances/depths you would need HUGE wire because the voltage drop would be prohibitive.

240v is MUCH easier on the equipment.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:33 PM   #14

Well Pump Wiring

if the pump is in the well...there must be a junction box where the pump wires are "waiting" for you to hook them up....what size and how many are their....and you mus find out if your pump needs a starter above the well or if it is built in to the pump...if you can't find the company who put the pump in the well ..you may be forced to pull it and get the info from the pump itself..

most new installations are 220 volt single phase in new homes...but some have the starter built in and some don't...good luck
billie_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:39 PM   #15
Idiot Emeritus

Well Pump Wiring

Single phase submersible pump motors come in two types. 2 wire, and 3 wire. They are almost always 230 volt, some of the smaller ones (1/2HP and less) are 115.

The 2 wire type needs only 2 wires + a ground to operate. It doesn't need a control box. The pressure switch starts and stops it directly. Overloads are usually built into the motor.

The 3 wire type needs a control box. The start switch, start (and sometimes run) capacitors , overloads, and magnetic contactor (on larger motors) are in this box. It needs 3 wires + a ground from this box to the motor. On smaller motors, 2 wires feed the box, through the pressure switch. On larger ones, 2 wires feed the box directly, and the pressure switch goes to the box as well.

Look inside the well casing. If there's 2 wires and a ground, you have a 2 wire motor. If it's 3, check for continuity between all 3 wires, occasionally the installer will only have 3 wire cable and will use just 2 for a 2 wire motor.

A 1 1/2HP single phase motor on 230 volts will draw about 10 amps. Starting current will be about 60. At 400 feet, I'd run #8's if the well is less than 50' deep. If more than 50', I'd run #6's. If you're using AL, go up two sizes. A 20 amp breaker will run a 1 1/2 motor just fine. I'd run #12's from the panel to the control box or pressure switch, if it's not very long.

Basically, if it's 2HP, increase the above by one size. For 3HP, go up another size.

Is there a pull string in the conduit? If not, let us know, alot of us have different ways to pull something that long.

Rob.

micromind is offline   Reply With Quote