Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-06-2012, 01:23 AM   #1

Share |

Well pump stoped working

I have a deep well pump, it has been working good after today.

At first i rest the over load button at the bottom of the Franklin control box. It worked for about a day and then the overload switch started to overload.

I changed the capacitors start and run. Reset the overload switch and turn power back on. Pump started to work again. Worked for another day. Reset switch again and it feels like the Franklin box is vibrating more than it did.

Now it stopped working totally. I reset the overload switch and tried it again. The relay don't even pull in this time. All im getting is a buzzing noise from the overload switch and then it trips again. I pulled out the capacitors and check with a fluke 87 multimeter.

Set the meter at the UA. reading was at 0.3 im not sure if thats good or not. Im guessing that the new capacitors i put in is no good anymore. Ok what i did is pulled the three wires red, black, yellow from the franklin box reset the switch and turned the power on. The relay clicks normal. So i tried to put the yellow and the black on and tried it again.

Relay clicks ok but when i put the red wire back on, turn power back on, the replay does not pull in and then it trips out the overload switch. I dont want to keep buying capacitors if its gonna go bad again.

Im not sure how to check the motor. Theirs only three wires red, yellow and black no ground wire. I got a feeling that the motor has gone bad. Before i have it pulled out is their anything i can check? Can i megger test the motor before pulling it out? Where would i connect the leads? I really need your help. Thank you

Roger

Last edited by oh'mike; 08-06-2012 at 05:50 AM. Reason: added spaces
pikake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:55 AM   #2
E2 Electrician

Well pump stoped working

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikake View Post
I have a deep well pump, it has been working good after today.

At first i rest the over load button at the bottom of the Franklin control box. It worked for about a day and then the overload switch started to overload.

I changed the capacitors start and run. Reset the overload switch and turn power back on. Pump started to work again. Worked for another day. Reset switch again and it feels like the Franklin box is vibrating more than it did.

Now it stopped working totally. I reset the overload switch and tried it again. The relay don't even pull in this time. All im getting is a buzzing noise from the overload switch and then it trips again. I pulled out the capacitors and check with a fluke 87 multimeter.

Set the meter at the UA. reading was at 0.3 im not sure if thats good or not. Im guessing that the new capacitors i put in is no good anymore. Ok what i did is pulled the three wires red, black, yellow from the franklin box reset the switch and turned the power on. The relay clicks normal. So i tried to put the yellow and the black on and tried it again.

Relay clicks ok but when i put the red wire back on, turn power back on, the replay does not pull in and then it trips out the overload switch. I dont want to keep buying capacitors if its gonna go bad again.

Im not sure how to check the motor. Theirs only three wires red, yellow and black no ground wire. I got a feeling that the motor has gone bad. Before i have it pulled out is their anything i can check? Can i megger test the motor before pulling it out? Where would i connect the leads? I really need your help. Thank you

Roger

Is the motor bound? Check the back of the control panel for the ohm specs so you can ring out the motor itself.

If the motor is bound, you will get amp readings of 3 to 6 times higher than normal until the overload trips.

stickboy1375 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
" Euro " electrician

Well pump stoped working

Before I can comment more on the pump control panel .,

First of all the Franklin pumps if you have actually 3 conductors set up there will be black et red et yellow IIRC and you will have to use the ohmmeter to read the ohms on the motour winding.

There will be three different readings so expect that.

What the HP of this pump is and what voltage it is set up ( either 120 or 240 volt supply )

And there should be some specs or information inside the cover if not let us know one of us will reply the correct specs.

Merci,
Marc
Old 08-08-2012, 03:51 PM   #4

Well pump stoped working

I have a 1 1/2 HP unit. I checked the OHM reading from the pump yellow and red 3.3 and the yellow to black was 9.9 ohms. i forgot to get to measure the yellow and red! whats the current suppose to be that is coming from pressure switch
pikake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #5
Idiot Emeritus

Well pump stoped working

According to my Franklin book, the resistance between Y and B should be 1.7 - 2.2Ω. Y and R should be 8.0 - 9.7Ω. Add an Ohm or two for the cable from the control box to the motor.

Are you absolutely sure that Y to R was 3.3 and Y to B was 9.9? If so, the wire colors were not matched when the cable was spliced to the motor.

From the resistance readings it sounds like the motor is ok but may need to be connected differently at the control box.

Rob

P.S. If the resistance is Y to B = 3.3 and Y to R = 9.9, most likely the start relay is bad. If you have a basic light switch, some tape and two pieces of #16, 14, or 12 wire about a foot long, it's pretty easy to test.
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote