Well Pump Control Box - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-04-2009, 12:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

well pump control box

I have a deep well with a submersible pump. It is 3wire, 230 volt. The casing is 6 inch steel. The outlet is 1.5 inch PVC located 4 feet underground. Someone took the motor control box. I do not have access to pump or motor info. I need to get the pump operational fast as it is a contingency on closing the purchase of the land and ordering a house. The previous owner gave me what he thought was the old control box. It was rated 3/4 horsepower. The capacitor blew. The pump was running about 16 amps for 1 to 2 minutes before it blew. I checked resistance of the motor windings to see if it shorted. Seems to be ok. All three wires to ground are open. Common to start is 9 ohms, common to run is 3.0 ohms, start to run is 10.8 ohms measured with a fluke fieldpiece. Can anyone tell me what the horse power is and if a run capacitor is required, or just a start capacitor and relay.

Advertisement

HAWKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:42 AM   #2
Electrician

Rewards Points: 1,000

well pump control box

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKMAN View Post
I have a deep well with a submersible pump. It is 3wire, 230 volt. The casing is 6 inch steel. The outlet is 1.5 inch PVC located 4 feet underground. Someone took the motor control box. I do not have access to pump or motor info. I need to get the pump operational fast as it is a contingency on closing the purchase of the land and ordering a house. The previous owner gave me what he thought was the old control box. It was rated 3/4 horsepower. The capacitor blew. The pump was running about 16 amps for 1 to 2 minutes before it blew. I checked resistance of the motor windings to see if it shorted. Seems to be ok. All three wires to ground are open. Common to start is 9 ohms, common to run is 3.0 ohms, start to run is 10.8 ohms measured with a fluke fieldpiece. Can anyone tell me what the horse power is and if a run capacitor is required, or just a start capacitor and relay.
Umm, match up the control box and just go buy another one. Why the hell would someone take it anyway? But just for your info, a 3/4 HP motor at 240volts will draw 6.9 amps, and here is the winding resistance for a 3/4 HP motor also, Main Winding (yellow to black) 3.0-3.6 Start Winding (yellow to red) 11.0-13.4

But without knowing what pump is actually in the ground, you really have no choice put to pull the pump, buy the correct size control box, or pray the one the last owner gave you WAS the correct one, and just go purchase another.

Advertisement

Last edited by chris75; 08-04-2009 at 09:54 AM.
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:41 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

well pump control box

In my area, the well driller stamps the well cap with the depth of the well and the HP of the pump. Maybe you have that sitting around if it's not on the cap.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:29 AM   #4
Electrician

Rewards Points: 1,000

well pump control box

Quote:
Originally Posted by williswires View Post
In my area, the well driller stamps the well cap with the depth of the well and the HP of the pump. Maybe you have that sitting around if it's not on the cap.

Thats not a bad idea, around here they mark the depth on the control box.... LOL...
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:42 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,222

well pump control box

What is the "motor control box" for? My well pump doesn't have one.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:46 AM   #6
Idiot Emeritus

Rewards Points: 1,072

well pump control box

Single phase submersible pump motors come in two types; 2 wire and 3 wire.

The 2 wire type doesn't need a control box. Just energize the two wires and it runs.

The 3 wire type has both the start and run winding wires brought out. The control box is needed to de-energize the start capacitor after the motor is up to speed.

Rob
micromind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:37 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

well pump control box

Thanks for all the info guys. With this and a conversation with Culver motor and armature in Sacramento, I am relatively sure I have a 3/4 hp pump. It will be 2 to 4 weeks before I can get back to Idaho to test it again.
HAWKMAN

Advertisement

HAWKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote