Weird Noises From My Telephone Connections - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2008, 11:26 AM   #1
EPL

Rewards Points: 10
Angry

Weird Noises from my telephone connections

OK, for you well "grounded" electricians, maybe someone can help??

I've been doing a basement reno, and decided to lay all the phone lines behind walls, etc. I bought an RCA telephone junction box (actually 2) from Home Depot. I have a 2 pair line for home and biz coming from the demarc (NID) box. Green/Red for Home, and Black/Yellow for Biz.

The junction box has 4 posts, 1 for each colour as input, and the ability to run 4 lines from each post as outbound. I decided to run 1 line to the 2nd junction box on the first floor, where I could restring lines as required. Therefore, from the basement I have 1 line with RGBY wires coming from their respective color posts - and become the "input" wires to the upstairs juction box. The "upstairs" J(n) box (input/outputs) are configured as follows: R/R and G/G for the home lines upstairs, which work perfectly. B/G and Y/R for the Biz line, and that have been working perfect for the past 3 months.

Now that I'm ready to connect the Biz line in the basement, I've used the same configuration as above in the "basement" J(n) box with ODD results. The home line R/R and G/G works fine. When I attach G/B and R/Y I get 3-4 seconds of a line, followed by "clicking, screaching, and loud noises??? Someone told me it's a grounding problem?

I've tried a variety of tests to determine if there is sometime of cut in the basement outbound biz line, and have determined that the outbound line is intact.

Here's the really weird thing: If I disengage the Y/B outbound line to the 2nd junction box, and strictly use the 1 outbound line to the basement biz line, there is no static, and it's a perfectly clear connection.

However, It's when I try to add the "2nd outbound" line for the business line that I get the screaching. (The J(n) box is supposed to handle 4 outbound lines!)

For some reason, the Y and R outs from the Y post, and B and G outs from the B post, do not like each other. But either "on their own" work perfectly fine.

If anybody has a solution I would be very appreciative, and could get back to work and could vacate the dining room (which is driving my wife nuts).

Thanks very much - someone told me this "colour" stuff was supposed to be easy, but evidently NOT!

Advertisement

Last edited by EPL; 03-19-2008 at 11:43 AM. Reason: clarity
EPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:22 PM   #2
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Rewards Points: 1,000

Check to make sure you are not crossing the colors anywhere. Also check for shorts between the four posts. Sometimes, when working with small wire, it is easy to have a little "tail" sneak from under a screw and touch things around it.

Also, try disconnecting all of the wires and using an ohm meter to determine that there are no shorts within the cables themselves.

InPhase277

Advertisement

InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:35 PM   #3
EPL

Hi InPhase277, Thx for reply.
I've been troubleshooting for the past 2 days. Colours are OK. If I by-pass J(n) box, and contact either biz line "directly" to B/Y incoming, I get a clear tone. So, either the J(n) box is defective? (how could that be, just plastics and metal), or the different color wires when contacted together at the posts don't like each each other?

While I've been waiting, I spoke with home depot. He thought it was a ground problem, and suggested that I attach G wire to R terminal in the "phone jack" and vice versa (R to G). Does this make any sense? I'm afraid to try because I'm not sure what would happen. OTher idea is to use Y/B outbound wire from basement J(n) and attach to Y/B post in the phone jack?

Thx.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:48 PM   #4
Union Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

I tend to think that in phase is close on this. If the noise goes away with the removal of a pair, your problem should be along that pair. Like he said, short in the wire, nick from a staple will do funny things.

If it were definitely a grounding problem, the noise would persist on all lines and in all pairs (typically). I'd try ringing out the pairs and trying to find the short.
goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:10 AM   #5
EPL

Hi Goose,
This all makes very logical sense to me. But here's what I can't seem to come to grips with:

1. If I disconnect the incoming wires, and manually attach to EITHER of the outgoing wires, the biz line works perfectly.

2. If I re-attach incoming to posts, and attach EITHER of the outgoing lines ("on their own") the biz line works perfectly either in basement or upstairs

I only get the clicking/squealing when "BOTH" outgoing lines are attached to the post, and "ONLY" on the basement line (upstairs works fine)

So, assuming the lines work fine independent of each other, does that mean we can rule out a short? Or under what circumstances could a short be created ONLY when both outgoing lines are attached to the B/Y post??

You're going to be hero is you can figure this one out!! Thx.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:21 AM   #6
electrician

Rewards Points: 250

I'm an electrician, not a phone guy, but DSL puts one hell of a static on my home lines. I had to put filters on all jacks. Do you have a fax machine on. I had a problem one time with my "internet card" on my computer ( sorry I'm also not a computer guy), but I had to disconnect the computer from the phone jack to get the phones to work. Just a thought.
Silk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:46 AM   #7

{Now that I'm ready to connect the Biz line in the basement, I've used the same configuration as above in the "basement" J(n) box with ODD results. The home line R/R and G/G works fine. When I attach G/B and R/Y I get 3-4 seconds of a line, followed by "clicking, screaching, and loud noises??? Someone told me it's a grounding problem?}

Why are you attaching Green with Black, and Red with Yellow?????????? Your Red with Green should be line one, and your Black with Yellow should be your second line. For some reason you are crossing the lines. Can you post some pictures, so that I can further assist you.
helpless handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:22 AM   #8
EPL

Wink

Silk, you have achieved HERO status. Thanks to everyone else for thier input - the process of elimination helps to zero in on the solution.

The DSL filter was exactly the problem. I actually have 2 filters on the biz line upstairs, so I placed 1 on each, and both are working perfectly now.

I guess the downside, is now I have to reset up my office!!

This is my first time at the site, and I am very impressed, and would recommend to anyone.

Thanks again.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:03 PM   #9
When is fishing season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPL View Post
Silk, you have achieved HERO status. Thanks to everyone else for thier input - the process of elimination helps to zero in on the solution.

The DSL filter was exactly the problem. I actually have 2 filters on the biz line upstairs, so I placed 1 on each, and both are working perfectly now.

I guess the downside, is now I have to reset up my office!!

This is my first time at the site, and I am very impressed, and would recommend to anyone.

Thanks again.
Who do you have your DSL though? I am surprised they didn't supply you with the filters. My mother got hers free from verizon.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:16 PM   #10
EPL

Cowboy,
I'm from Canada, my DSL supplier is Bell. They did give a couple of filters when I first had installed about 5 yr's ago. The basement reno is my proj, and decided to string new phone lines, etc by myself. I suppose if I had to buy the filters, I could find them somewhere like a radio shack.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:16 PM   #11
Union Electrician

EPL,
When I did some work in my upstairs I pulled low voltage cabling for most of the rooms. In the bundle, I had two cat-6 (leftovers at work) and two RG6. One of the lines I used as a voice, and one as a data. In the basement I installed a whole house DSL filter. Really cleaned everything up.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:05 AM   #12
EPL

Thumbs up

Goose,
The "whole house" DSL filter is an excellent idea. Where would I buy one, and how does it work? Thx.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:53 PM   #13
Union Electrician

It was a leviton product and I got it Home Depot. I think it depends on which one you go to because I've seen it at some and not others. It was about $30. You'll run your incoming pair into the filter and there is RJ-45 jack that you put an ethernet cable into. At my house, that goes into the DSL modem, which goes to the router, to the patch panel, to the devices. I'll dig around and see if I can't come up with a photo or link.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:56 PM   #14
When is fishing season?

I wonder if they make the all in one media panels with them already intergrated?
Old 03-21-2008, 10:00 PM   #15
Union Electrician

Here is a picture of the device:

My device looks a little different but you get the idea.

Here is the link:

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCC...mPQYFDYOqrVg..

Advertisement