Weird Light Problem..please Help. - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2008, 06:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Weird light problem..please help.

Hi. I have a light in my stairway which I can usually switch on/off at the bottom or top of the stairs, however, yesterday it went all weird! Eg..If I turn it on at the bottom of the stairs I now cant turn it off at the top but if I go back downstairs and turn it off down there I can go back upstairs (in the dark) and turn it on and off up there...its all very strange! Is it dangerous to be like this and should I urgently get an electricial out to have a look?

Advertisement

Tracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:19 PM   #2
Union HVAC Tech.

Rewards Points: 500

You have a bad switch, it isn't wierd just broken.

Advertisement

bigMikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the reply. Can it really be broken tho if it works? Depending on what position the one switch is at depends whether the other will? Not that I am doubting your knowledge but im not sure that i explained the problem properly.
Tracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:29 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

If has always worked properly and no one has messed with it, it may be simply a bad switch or loose wire at the switch. It is not likely a dangerous thing unless you fall down the stairs because it's dark.....unless it's a loose wire, then it can arc and eventually cause more serious problems.

It may be a DIY repair. Get 2 new 3way switches, turn OFF the power, remove switches. You will see THREE wires attached to the switch. Take note of the COMMON wire. It is marked on the old and new switches as "common" and has a darker colored screw. As long as you get the COMMON wire hooked up to the right terminal, you will be good.

For a temp repair, try roughly turning the switch on and off several times to unstick it.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote