Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2010, 10:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

ways to get power to a light switch

can i get power from a receptacle to a light switch if so how

stephane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
" Euro " electrician

As long the receptale you are plan to use is not switched that is very easy task but it depending on the numbers of conductors { wires } in the junction box.

Normally you use the black to black and white to white and green or bare to green to bare and you will have to make a pigtail if more than two conductors in the recetpale area.

then go to the switch box at the switch box you will have to use wirenut on white to white and push it back in the box and green or bare to green or bare and yes you will have to make a pigtail on this one now for black conductors just make a sheperd hook and screw on the switch and go to the luminaire and the luminaire just black to black and white to white and green or bare to green or bare.

And yes you can buy a old work switch box to put in the wall but get up to the ceiling it will be easy or not depending on the way the ceiling and wall meet.

If you can get in the attic then it will be little more easier to deal with it if not sure where you can find the wall a tip I will pass it to you get a steel coat hanger and poke thru the ceiling and that coat hanger will tell you where it find it and drill a hole and snake in the cable in.

For the ceiling luminaire this part can get tricky are you plan to install the ceiling fan or not ?? that will make the big diffrence how you use the ceiling box due there are proper one on market.

Merci.
Marc

frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:41 AM   #3

thanks i am running lights in my atic do i need to run a wire from the switch to the lights
stephane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:02 AM   #4
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephane View Post
thanks i am running lights in my atic do i need to run a wire from the switch to the lights
Yep you do of course.

And let me add few items what I did not add it above with my oringal comment there is the other item you will need to know is the conductor size so when you open up the nearest recetpale where you will plan to add cable to the switch box there is two size is pretty common in resdentail side

Typically either 2.5 or 4.0mm˛ { # 14 or # 12 AWG } If you have 2.5mm˛ there then you must use the 2.5mm˛ now the same situation with 4.0mm˛ you have to use 4.0mm˛ the 4.0 is thicker than 2.5

All the items you can able find them in big box store plus make sure you have nice speedbore bit that is one of few items you will need to get the speedbore bit you only need 5/8 inch that is more than enough to get the cable slip thru.

And have few extra blades for your uility knife. when you make a old work box cut in.

As I mention above about the coathanger the reason why I mention due two reason one is I only have to patch a super small hole and second it will speed up your time to find it.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote