Water Leaking From Behind My Breaker Box - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-15-2011, 06:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

water leaking from behind my breaker box

Hey everyone . . . my wife and I are new homeowners ... we bought an older home about a month ago. Last night was the first significant rain since we bought the house and this morning I went to the basement curious to see if there was any water. We had a small puddle in one corner of the basement, but it was in the corner near our breaker box, so I was curious to see where it was coming from ... it seems to be coming from behind AND out of the bottom of the breaker box ... I'm not yet a handyman, and don't really want to jump into anything related to water mixing with electricity ... but my question is WHO do I call? Electrician? Basement water people? Any suggestions?

Advertisement

nlqeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:46 AM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,782

You might want to look at the condition of your service cable for cracks in the insulation.

Advertisement

Old 11-15-2011, 07:30 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

What he said, if the cable insulation is deteriorated, an electrician would be the best. But it could be as simple as an opening that needs caulk, or electrical putty
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:05 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Please do not use caulk inside of the conduit leading to your panel. Pick up a brick of duct seal and wedge as much as you can inside the conduit and then caulk around the outside of the conduit.

Water has a tendency to follow wire and if your drip loop at the top of your service mast is more like a strait line of wire you are almost guaranteed to see a river of water in your panel. So check the loop up top and if you don't feel comfortable with anything call an electrician.
Colomboj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:30 AM   #5
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

I've had to deal with that before - I hired an electrician and before he came out I had to call the electric company to shut off power to the house so he could address the entire issue.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:57 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 586

You may also want to, or have an electrician, inspect the interior of the panel for any water damage.

I also bought an older house, several of the breakers had obviously gotten wet judging by the "rust" stains on them and some corrosion on the bus and branch circuit wires.

Ended up replacing the service.

Advertisement

AandPDan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaker box , water in basement