Water Heater Timer - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2008, 12:53 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 17
Rewards Points: 10
Default

water heater timer


I want to put a timer on my electric water heater.

The heater I have is 240 vac with an upper and lower element rated at 4500 watts and total connect wattage at 4500 on a 30 amp breaker.

I was thinking about this timer: http://www.westsidewholesale.com/ind...@@@&pid=976133


Think itís the right one for me? Over kill, there's a better one? Any suggestions?

Advertisement

coastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:15 PM   #2
Member
 
joed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Welland, Ontario
Posts: 8,382
Rewards Points: 3,558
Blog Entries: 4
Default

water heater timer


That unit will work.
What is the purpose of the timer? Do you get lower rates at night?

Advertisement

joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:21 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 17
Rewards Points: 10
Default

water heater timer


Thanks.

I only need it in the morning. I've been turning it on when I go to the gym and off when I get home to shower. Other than that, I don't need to have the heater going for the other 22 hrs. The only problem is sometimes I forget to turn it on or off and then there are the days I don't go to the gym.
coastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:32 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,497
Rewards Points: 500
Default

water heater timer


I have a timer just like that on my water heater and it works great.

I have a "time of use" (TOU) electric meter, so I get lower electric rates in the middle of the night.

BUT a water heater timer can save electricity even if you don't have a time of use meter. The thing to do is set it so you have hot water for a shower in the morning, then just warm water for the rest of the day.

My timer has a manual switch on the outside. If it is real hot and I need a shower in the afternoon, I'll press the button, then wait about 20 minutes and I have hot water.

If I don't use much hot water, the water will stay warm most of the day even though it was heated prior to 6:00am!
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:16 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,510
Rewards Points: 2,008
Default

water heater timer


Just go to HD or Lowes and get an Intermatic (brand name) timer. Inexpensive. Make sure you get the right voltage. They are simple to connect too.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:21 PM   #6
Member
 
47_47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Springville, NY
Posts: 1,517
Rewards Points: 622
Default

water heater timer


Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_Bob View Post
I have a timer just like that on my water heater and it works great.

I have a "time of use" (TOU) electric meter, so I get lower electric rates in the middle of the night.

BUT a water heater timer can save electricity even if you don't have a time of use meter. The thing to do is set it so you have hot water for a shower in the morning, then just warm water for the rest of the day.

My timer has a manual switch on the outside. If it is real hot and I need a shower in the afternoon, I'll press the button, then wait about 20 minutes and I have hot water.

If I don't use much hot water, the water will stay warm most of the day even though it was heated prior to 6:00am!
Billy_Bob, how much are your electrical cost savings and the price of the timer?
__________________
What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it.
47_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:08 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,497
Rewards Points: 500
Default

water heater timer


Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_47 View Post
Billy_Bob, how much are your electrical cost savings and the price of the timer?
My electric bills in the summer are running about $50 a month and in the winter about $30 a month.

I bought that timer about 4 years ago and don't remember the price.

Now as to my low electric bills, I use every trick in the book to get them this low. This includes added insulation, Energy Star windows, new Energy Star appliances, compact fluorescent bulbs, heating with a woodstove, not using my water heater for hot water except for showers, pre-heating my water with my woodstove, and everything on a power strip and turned off when not in use (like TV, stereo, microwave, all computer stuff, etc.)

Here is a picture of my woodstove hot water pre-heating tanks...
Attached Thumbnails
water heater timer-water_heater1_sm.jpg  
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:04 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada (s/w ON.)
Posts: 2,294
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

water heater timer


I live in Ontario, Canada and on Oct. 16th our electrical supplier 'HydoOne' is going to install remote control thermostats for the A/C and the H/W.
Somehow, they can send a signal to control these.
The intent is for load shedding during peak usage times.
I've been given to understand that I will be able to control these from the internet, myself.
It would be nice to be able to have a program in my computer that could function like a timer.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:36 AM   #9
Advice worth 2 cents!
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 229
Rewards Points: 150
Default

water heater timer


I don't agree with using a timer. The secret to energy conservation is insulation. Install a Watthour meter on the tank and I'd be willing to bet a few bucks that your timer is not saving money, In fact, you could actually be loosing a bit more.

Where do you live? here in canada loosing a few extra calories in the basement is actually a good thing.

-pete
__________________
---pete
HandyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:18 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada (s/w ON.)
Posts: 2,294
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

water heater timer


Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyPete View Post
I don't agree with using a timer. The secret to energy conservation is insulation. Install a Watthour meter on the tank and I'd be willing to bet a few bucks that your timer is not saving money, In fact, you could actually be loosing a bit more.

Where do you live? here in canada loosing a few extra calories in the basement is actually a good thing.

-pete
I'm in Canada also, Pete!
The place that I have was our home, but is now our summer cottage.
I turn off the h/w and a/c when its unoccupied.
What I find that I like, is if I, or anybody else forget, I will be able to shut it off remotely.
Also I will be able to turn up the heat for winter visits.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 11:41 AM   #11
Member
 
joed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Welland, Ontario
Posts: 8,382
Rewards Points: 3,558
Blog Entries: 4
Default

water heater timer


Shutting off the heater and AC when in an unoccupied cottage is a big difference from shutting off you water heater every morning after you use it. I was tihnkg the same thing. How much would he be saving?
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:02 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada (s/w ON.)
Posts: 2,294
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

water heater timer


I'm in agreement with you joed! After all, once the water is up to temperature, it will shut off anyway.
It won't come on again until the water cools to the lower limit.
So if cooling of the water can be reduced (insulation) it may be the better approach.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:55 PM   #13
Advice worth 2 cents!
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 229
Rewards Points: 150
Default

water heater timer


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
I'm in Canada also, Pete!
The place that I have was our home, but is now our summer cottage.
I turn off the h/w and a/c when its unoccupied.
What I find that I like, is if I, or anybody else forget, I will be able to shut it off remotely.
Also I will be able to turn up the heat for winter visits.
Makes a lot of sense to me! I have a buddy at the office who's a Ham radio operator and his cottage has all kinds of stuff he controls with the radio. Hmmm? NERDS! you might want to try a few radio sites on the WWW.

Advertisement

__________________
---pete
HandyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pool timer on an electric water heater...Yes or no? Gusaroo Plumbing 2 09-01-2008 09:13 AM
(Water Heater MYSTERY) Hot water out from dead tank with cold water in it? Inayity Plumbing 6 07-14-2008 09:36 PM
Water Heater Timer capt2 Plumbing 4 01-16-2008 07:04 PM
Water Heater Timer piecekeeper Electrical 3 07-19-2007 07:12 PM
Periodic release from (I think) the T&P valve on the water heater alexz Plumbing 3 08-15-2006 11:31 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts