Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2009, 08:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Water Heater Problems

My water heater (Whirlpool 50 gallon model #EE2H50RD045V, 2 years old) quit working today after I did my annual draining of it. My draining procedure was as follows:

1. flip breaker off
2. turned water off
3. hooked up water hose to drain valve and opened drain valve
4. open T&P valve (no water flow.... plugged w/ solids)
5. closed T&P valve and turned water back on to pressurize tank to flush
6. flushed for 10-15 minutes
7. closed drain valve and disconnected hose
8. flipped breaker back on

After I flipped the breaker back on I checked the indicator light on top of the heater and it was not on. I waited 45 minutes to see if the heater was heating and it was not. I flipped the breaker several times and still no juice. There is a reset button on top of the heater and I've pushed it countless times and still no juice. I've also checked all the connections at the breaker and the heater and they are all good.

I then broke out my old multimeter to see if I had any juice coming from the breaker. At the heater I checked the terminal that my black wire ties into and it has 124 volts. I checked all the other terminals and they had nothing.

What's wrong? Shouldn't I have 240 volts? Do I have a bad breaker or is it something in the heater?

martyshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:40 PM   #2
Electrician

Water Heater Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyshel View Post
My water heater (Whirlpool 50 gallon model #EE2H50RD045V, 2 years old) quit working today after I did my annual draining of it. My draining procedure was as follows:

1. flip breaker off
2. turned water off
3. hooked up water hose to drain valve and opened drain valve
4. open T&P valve (no water flow.... plugged w/ solids)
5. closed T&P valve and turned water back on to pressurize tank to flush
6. flushed for 10-15 minutes
7. closed drain valve and disconnected hose
8. flipped breaker back on

After I flipped the breaker back on I checked the indicator light on top of the heater and it was not on. I waited 45 minutes to see if the heater was heating and it was not. I flipped the breaker several times and still no juice. There is a reset button on top of the heater and I've pushed it countless times and still no juice. I've also checked all the connections at the breaker and the heater and they are all good.

I then broke out my old multimeter to see if I had any juice coming from the breaker. At the heater I checked the terminal that my black wire ties into and it has 124 volts. I checked all the other terminals and they had nothing.

What's wrong? Shouldn't I have 240 volts? Do I have a bad breaker or is it something in the heater?
you checked black to ground? Did you check from black to white or red whatever your install has? You should see between 208 & 240v ac between two of these Black to white or red.if you dont the problems is from the breaker or any splices you may have in between the breaker and the unit.

ctsmiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:53 PM   #3

Water Heater Problems

Yes, black to ground was 124 volts.... black to anything else was nothing. BTW, I just disconnected the wires from the breaker, removed it and gave it a couple of taps. I then reinstalled it and hooked the wires back up and the breaker will not flip to the on position. I'm pretty sure that the problem is the breaker. I've got another 30 A breaker in a subpanel that went to an old water heater that I abandoned. I think I'll rob that one and see if it works. But I have to wait until my wife's soap opera goes off because I have to kill the power to half of the house to rob it.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:55 PM   #4
Idiot Emeritus

Water Heater Problems

Be careful here, there's a good chance that the end of the breaker that goes onto the panel bus is burned up. It might be hard to remove, and if the breaker falls apart, metal pieces could possibly fall across the busses.

If the panel bus is damaged, or shows signs of heat, don't put a breaker back into that slot. It'll just burn up again. Check the breaker that shares the same bus, it's likely damaged as well.

Then again, you might be lucky, and it's just a bad breaker.

Rob
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:07 AM   #5

Water Heater Problems

It was the breaker. I put a new(old) one in and am now back in business. BTW.... the bus was fine.