Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2012, 10:43 PM   #1

Share |

Washer and gas dryer electrical requirements

I just ordered a new washer and gas dryer (LG, front loading, stackable). I was looking at the specs and the GAS dryer claims it needs 15A. Can that be correct? The washer says it needs 10A. Can a gas dryer really need more electricity than the washer? The 15A number comes from the spec sheet, not the actual manual; the manual says to look at the plate on the dryer. I can't do that yet because they haven't been delivered yet.

If this is correct, I guess I have to run 2 20A circuits over there. That's not terribly difficult in my situation, but it just seems like something must be wrong. Can anyone tell me whether this is crazy or plausible? Anyone have a recent gas LG dryer they can look at to check? Model is LG DLG2251W. Thanks!

greendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #2
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendog View Post
I just ordered a new washer and gas dryer (LG, front loading, stackable). I was looking at the specs and the GAS dryer claims it needs 15A. Can that be correct? The washer says it needs 10A. Can a gas dryer really need more electricity than the washer? The 15A number comes from the spec sheet, not the actual manual; the manual says to look at the plate on the dryer. I can't do that yet because they haven't been delivered yet.

If this is correct, I guess I have to run 2 20A circuits over there. That's not terribly difficult in my situation, but it just seems like something must be wrong. Can anyone tell me whether this is crazy or plausible? Anyone have a recent gas LG dryer they can look at to check? Model is LG DLG2251W. Thanks!
First of all ., did you check the specs on washer due some of the LG washer I know they used in stateside can run on 240 volts so that possiblty but the only hard answer you can find is get the model number of that unit that is the only answer you can hit on that one.

For the gaz dryer most USA verison generally are set up for 120 volts unless you have special verison which they will use the 240 volt motour then again check the nameplate as well.

Are you in USA or Canada ? due there may be a little differnt varation on the excat answer on it.

Merci,
Marc

Old 07-02-2012, 10:55 PM   #3

Run the circuits.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:57 PM   #4

Just saw in the installation section of the manual it specifies:

Quote:
This dryer must be plugged into a 60 Hz, 120 VAC, grounded
outlet protected by a 15-ampere fuse or circuit breaker. Failure
to follow this warning can result in fire, explosion, or death.
I've never seen an appliance require a 15A breaker (as opposed to being ok with a 20A). I guess if I'm running two circuits anyways it's easy to make one a 15A, but that just seems weird to me.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
First of all ., did you check the specs on washer due some of the LG washer I know they used in stateside can run on 240 volts so that possiblty but the only hard answer you can find is get the model number of that unit that is the only answer you can hit on that one.
Yep, both the washer and dryer explicitly state that they need 120V 60Hz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
Are you in USA or Canada ? due there may be a little differnt varation on the excat answer on it.
USA. Seattle, WA
Old 07-02-2012, 11:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
Run the circuits.
Yeah, that's my default position unless I can be convinced otherwise. Better safe than sorry, and even if they're just being overly cautious in there specs, they must have a reason for being overly cautious and I'll go with it.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:10 AM   #7

greendog,
Remember the dryer needs electricity to turn the drum. If you want to find out the name plate ratings, there are two extremely radical ideas you could try. 1) Head to some of the big box stores and see if they have the dryer, or a similar size on hand, and check the nameplate. 2) Contact LG and ask. They appear to offer e-mail, IM, and phone contact capability.

Now while #2 is all but guaranteed to get you the answer. #1 gives you the option to wander into a hardware store, see that tool you forgot you needed, and make an impulse buy. As you can tell, I'm biased towards one of these options.
a_lost_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:48 AM   #8
Licensed electrician

The NEC requires a dedicated 20 amp 120v circuit for the laundry area.

Last edited by Jim Port; 07-03-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Jim Port is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Port For This Useful Post:
ddawg16 (07-03-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #9
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
The NEC requires a 20 amp 120v circuit for the laundry area.
Dedicated 20A ckt......

You can add another one in there if you want...but it can't be on the same breaker....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote