Warning Against Doing Dryer Outlet – Generator Hookups - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-31-2012, 09:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Warning Against Doing Dryer Outlet – Generator Hookups

I may be preaching to the choir here, but please don’t connect your portable generator through your dryer outlet during this outage. Use extension cords if you don’t have a transfer switch or interlock kit already installed.

Connecting through your dryer outlet is risky, especially since you’re doing this in the dark, the weather is crappy, and you usually are annoyed, hurried and not really with it when you’re doing this.

Here’s the dangers:

1) Forgetting to Turn Off the Main. If the main isn’t turned off, a linesman can be electrocuted (he dies, and then you get manslaughter charges), you can cause trouble at your neighbor’s house, because the power lines may not be disconnected between your house and theirs even if the power company isn’t feeding either house, plus your generator will likely be burned out by the power company when they do restore power. Among other things.

2) The Connection Cord/Suicide Cord. The illegal homemade connection cord has two male ends on it, which means it has two live ends. Risk of electrocution is pretty high if someone touches one of these ends. There’s risk at the generator and risk at the dryer outlet.

3) Many other risks, too numerous to mention.

I have an interlock kit (which makes it impossible for the power company power and the generator power to interact) that allows me to switch over to my portable generator. When power went out the other night during Hurricane Sandy, I tried to show my teen-age daughter how to turn off the main and switch over to the generator circuit breakers, using the interlock kit. I have instructions posted right next to my circuit breakers on all the steps to be followed (there are about a dozen steps).

I realized how difficult it is to properly follow all of these steps in the basement in the dark during a power outage with a flashlight, and all I had to do was walk the clear path to my circuit breakers. And a mistake on my end wasn’t potentially lethal.

I didn’t have to move my dryer out of the way, plug in a two-male suicide cord to my dryer outlet and then to my generator, and then remember to turn off my main. It’s very easy to make a mistake when doing it this way.

Advertisement

Last edited by Arnold Ziffel; 10-31-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Arnold Ziffel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arnold Ziffel For This Useful Post:
jbfan (11-01-2012)
Old 10-31-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,154

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windso...rker-dies.html

Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 11:39 PM   #3
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

And up here the neutral needs to be dissconnected as well. I hadn't seen that story yet speedy, thanks.
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:14 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,388

It doesnt say that back feeding caused the accident !

Electrical linesmen would be under tremendous stress
after any storm of that capacity.
Its a dangerous job, one mistake and your dead.
I know I have made plenty of mistakes.
Its a sad fact of life , but its very real.
its a dangerous occupation.
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmxtothemax View Post
It doesnt say that back feeding caused the accident !
You're right, it doesn't ! It's still under investigation.

He was working on DOWNED lines. What do you think the likelihood is that one of his fellow workers re-energized a downed line???
Old 11-01-2012, 07:30 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew79 View Post
And up here the neutral needs to be dissconnected as well. I hadn't seen that story yet speedy, thanks.
If we disconnect or switch the neutral on a generator install, the NEC considers it a SDS, separately derived system like a transformer, and the grounding and bonding requirements can be a PITA for a portable generator.
Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:43 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 512

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
You're right, it doesn't ! It's still under investigation.

He was working on DOWNED lines. What do you think the likelihood is that one of his fellow workers re-energized a downed line???
Possible.
operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by operagost View Post
Possible.
Duh. Anything is possible.
It is also possible that aliens could have re-energized the line through electromagnetic field coils.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:10 PM   #9

Yes ! it is possable that someone else re energised the line !
I am sure after a destruction like that there would be
lots of extra linesmen brought it,
and naturally there would be a sense of urgency
to get things up and running again.
Its inevetable that some corners will be cut,
New workers might not fully understand set proceedures.
and unfortunately people will end up hurt / killed.
No one likes it but it happens.
Hopefully an investagation will find the real cause.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:13 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,048

One thing that some linemen do nowadays is jumper the downed wire to ground (the ground wire) when working on it.

ncidentally this will produce a dead short for a generator that was energizing the line due to not having a proper interloc,k.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #11

It's a good method !
But isn't it possable that due to the urgency of the situation
that he might have skipped the usual safety methods
in order to get things going quicker ?

It might not be the case , but it is one alternative
that most people have over looked !

Lets hope that no more get harmed,
with the huge repair job ahead,
The pressure on the linesmen will be tremendous !
If you see one,
give him a smile and a wave !
lift his spirits a bit .
Make a difficult job a little easier.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Ziffel View Post
I may be preaching to the choir here, but please don’t connect your portable generator through your dryer outlet during this outage. Use extension cords if you don’t have a transfer switch or interlock kit already installed.

Connecting through your dryer outlet is risky, especially since you’re doing this in the dark, the weather is crappy, and you usually are annoyed, hurried and not really with it when you’re doing this.

Here’s the dangers:

1) Forgetting to Turn Off the Main. If the main isn’t turned off, a linesman can be electrocuted (he dies, and then you get manslaughter charges), you can cause trouble at your neighbor’s house, because the power lines may not be disconnected between your house and theirs even if the power company isn’t feeding either house, plus your generator will likely be burned out by the power company when they do restore power. Among other things.

2) The Connection Cord/Suicide Cord. The illegal homemade connection cord has two male ends on it, which means it has two live ends. Risk of electrocution is pretty high if someone touches one of these ends. There’s risk at the generator and risk at the dryer outlet.

3) Many other risks, too numerous to mention.
In all fairness, 1 and 2 are the only risks. Using an interlock kit takes care of 1 and using a proper inlet takes care of 2. If there were other risks, they would still be there even when using a legal interlock system.
Hundred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:55 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 512

We need a movement to include generator hookups as standard equipment in new home builds and renovations. Not a government regulation-- that's a way to ensure lots of politicians get paid off and everyone ends up with crap like the candleabra sockets in ceiling fans so the manufacturer doesn't have to give everyone free CFLs. Really, we just need a double-throw switch that's hooked up to a 30A inlet and the service line. It's cheapest and easiest to do it when service is being brought in.
operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by operagost View Post
We need a movement to include generator hookups as standard equipment in new home builds and renovations. Not a government regulation-- that's a way to ensure lots of politicians get paid off and everyone ends up with crap like the candleabra sockets in ceiling fans so the manufacturer doesn't have to give everyone free CFLs. Really, we just need a double-throw switch that's hooked up to a 30A inlet and the service line. It's cheapest and easiest to do it when service is being brought in.
Some power companies offer a meter pan that has a transfer switch and inlet built right in. That is by far the best idea- clean installation, easy, safe, etc. Plug your generator right into the meter pan and throw the switch. It costs a couple hundred, but that is less than the typical interlock kit and inlet installation anyway.
Hundred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:32 AM   #15
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hundred View Post
Some power companies offer a meter pan that has a transfer switch and inlet built right in. That is by far the best idea- clean installation, easy, safe, etc. Plug your generator right into the meter pan and throw the switch. It costs a couple hundred, but that is less than the typical interlock kit and inlet installation anyway.
Not all the POCO will approve that type of transfer switch.

Readers .,

Before you do get the transfer switch make sure you get the electrique permit and have it done right in first place and many POCO is really strict with the interlock and they are cracking down hard and if the POCO catch ya running the generatour without the interlock or transfer switch, You will not able get the power back on right away until later time.

I have see this few time either side of pond so I know the situation will be.

Merci,
Marc

Advertisement