Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-05-2014, 01:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wanting to Rewire house and Garage

Hello,

I just bought a house and would like to Rewire it Currently the house is wired with a GE 100 AMP Main breaker box and all slots are full. The detached garage appears to be fed from this box and then when you get to the garage there is a sub panel that is ancient Federal Pacific AMPs unknown fuse box and looks like a total mess. I would like to take the 100AMP GE Box from the house and put it in the garage and run new wire to it from the meter on the back of the house about 30ft away. Then for the house I would start fresh with a GE 200 AMP 40 slot box to give me plenty of room to add more to the house if needed. Is this the best way to go? What will I need to do this? I would like to completely redo the garage because it's all old and has only 2 outlets and no lights and I want about 5 outlets and at least 4 lights I would also like to add a 220V outlet in the Garage for a welder or atleast leave myself the ability to add it when needed.

bobmartin888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:39 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,036

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmartin888 View Post
I just bought a house and would like to (HEAVY UP the feed and put in a larger 200A panel) to it.

Currently the house is wired with a GE 100 AMP Main breaker box and all slots are full. The detached garage appears to be fed from this box...
Have you done a load calculation?
Are all your major appliances gas?

Quote:
I would like to completely redo the garage because...
How convenient is it to dig up the yard to run new wire out there?

Quote:
Is this the best way to go? What will I need to do this?
It's a big job.

Find competent LOCAL help to back you up
and check your County for their permit and licensing rules BEFORE starting.

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:00 PM   #3

No only gas appliance is the furnace everything else is electric. I'm not sure what the amps on all the appliances are but electic items are dryer, washer, dishwasher, stove, frig, microware/range combo, then of course all the outlets through out the house and the lights and then as I mentioned the garage. I'm fine with digging up what is ran to the garage right now and replacing it from the meter instead of the house main panel. If the house main panel is ok and it's ok to keep the garage fed from there then I would still really like to upgrade the garage to a new panel and put in all new outlets that are GFCI I plan to run many tools like drills, saws, and an air compressor out there I'm just not sure that being fed from the house main panel can handle all that and I doubt I could add a circuit for a welder even with a new box unless I upgraded the power feed to the garage?
Old 02-05-2014, 02:15 PM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,316

How old are the appliances? Specifically the dryer and water heater? If they are close their useful life, since you already have gas...changing those to gas would drastically reduce your electric bill. Which means that 100A panel would be enough power for the house and garage.

For the garage, 30a 240Vac is more than enough...even if you have a compressor.

The average home is using more CFL and LED lighting so the electrical load is going down.

My oven is electric....everything else is gas. I doubt I've ever used more than about 60a at any one time....and my garage is wired for 50a...I doubt I've ever gone over about 15A out there.

I would leave the 100A main...put a 6 ckt sub in the garage...run a 1" conduit to the garage..toss in 2 #10 blacks and a #10 white....bare copper wire for ground...slam in 2 ground rods by the garage....feed it with a 30a double breaker in the mail panel and call it done.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:28 PM   #5

The appliances aren't new but they aren't old either I'd rather keep them electric. I believe the garage is wired from the house main panel with 2 30 amp breakers not sure of the wire gauge and I highly doubt it has grounds or conduit even it looks like they left the power to the garage from the 60's when the house was updated but I'm not forsure I know I can see the wires come up the outside wall of the garage to the panel not in conduit but maybe theres is conduit closer to the ground but it's winter here so I won't know until spring. Even with changing the box in the garage would I be able to run a 220v welder off that? I would like to upgrade the house panel because once we start to renovate some of the rooms we hope to add more outlets too and some more lighting as some rooms only have switched outlets and no ceiling lights.

Last edited by bobmartin888; 02-05-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:22 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,090

Adding your location to your profile would be a big help with code questions.
Just go to quick links to edit.
In the US there is no need to up grade anything when adding outlets or lighting.
You can have as many as you want on a circuit except bathrooms and kitchen need to be on there own 20 amp. GFI circuits.
Two 30 amp. circuits to the garage? Anyone else see a red flag?
Old 02-05-2014, 04:25 PM   #7
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,316

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Adding your location to your profile would be a big help with code questions.
Just go to quick links to edit.
In the US there is no need to up grade anything when adding outlets or lighting.
You can have as many as you want on a circuit except bathrooms and kitchen need to be on there own 20 amp. GFI circuits.
Two 30 amp. circuits to the garage? Anyone else see a red flag?
I thought about that....I assumed he meant it was a double pole 30A breaker....

Well...at least one could hope for the best.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:08 AM   #8

I'm in Iowa. Still is a sub panel in the garage going to be enough to handle if I get a 220v welder? Or should I rewire the garage direct from the meter. Either way I will need to run new wire I'm sure because I don't beleive the current wire is in any kind of conduit again I won't know for sure until spring when all the snow and ice is gone from the house and garage. I'm thinking the Ideal wiring would be to come off of the meter and go into the house and also off the meter and through conduit out to the Garage I know this will be a lot of work and given the current condition of the garage I would save this work until I plan to rebuild the garage and at the same time I will change the panel in the house out too. In the mean time will putting a new 100 Amp sub panel in the garage be enough for power tools an aircompressor and possibly a 220v welder? the welder can wait if it won't handle it but I would really like to have it.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:25 AM   #9
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
is a sub panel in the garage going to be enough to handle if I get a 220v welder?
If it's big enough... sure.
Do a load calculation for the garage as well as the house.
See what YOU need.

Quote:
Either way I will need to run new wire...
Right.

Quote:
I'm thinking the Ideal wiring would be to...
Have you found that LOCAL competent person to backstop you?

Have them look over your place and explain the what/how of the several choices (conduit, direct burial, aerial) you can go with and amp/load sizes based on YOUR conditions & needs.

Quote:
In the mean time...
er, no. Don't jump the gun.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:19 AM   #10

Ok how do I calculate the load? I don't yet have a welder but I can look up specs on the one I want. What kind of wire will I need to get? I plan on using PVC conduit. probably 2 inch. Maybe I'm not understanding but How can hooking up a 100amp sub panel that is fed from the house on a 30a 240v circuit handle a welder and other tools like the air compressor and saws etc?
Old 02-06-2014, 03:31 PM   #11
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Ok how do I calculate the load?
google LINK

Quote:
Maybe I'm not understanding but...
How can hooking up a 100amp sub panel that is fed from the house on a 30a 240v circuit handle a welder and other tools like the air compressor and saws etc?
It doesn't.
The individual breaker protecting the welders circuit is what matters. The other question is how often you'll have all your equipment on at once.

Last edited by TarheelTerp; 02-06-2014 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:39 PM   #12

Oh now I get it so as long as I'm not poping breakers in the garage then the breakers in the house will never pop. I doubt I will be using all my tools at once but at some point if I have a chance to get a plasma cutter then I may be running that with the welder but thats about it as grinders and saws won't be going simultaneously with the welder although the compressor may be running to build up pressure but now that I understand why the subpanel works regardless of the feed to it then I don't see any reason I can't just take a break from working while the compressor builds up or do something that don't require power tools. So here I will post a pic of the current sub panel in the garage you may want to stay seated.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:42 PM   #13

Sorry pic failed here it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Wanting to Rewire house and Garage-20140114_163505.jpg