Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2012, 03:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Want to switch to wired network

I have two TIVOs (bedroom1 & bedroom2) that use comcast coax cable and for their internet connection, wireless adapters. I want to change those from wireless to wired.

My den (pic) is where the action begins. There the coax is split, one to a 3rd TIVO, one to the modem. The router sits on the modem. The router is wired to my PC and the TIVO, but sends wireless to the bedrooms.

My home was prewired so I have a Cat-5 wires terminating at the TIVO locations but am unsure how to get them to connect up to a home network. In the den there is a landline phone, it uses the Cat-5 jack (pic).

Upstairs is the box with all the connections (pic).

I am looking for a DIY way to convert the bedroom TIVOs (and any future appliances there), to a wired network. Not sure if this question really belongs in the "electrical" board, but seems like a good place to start!

Puttster

puttster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
"So I Re-Wired It"

Rewards Points: 250

Ok, well they used cat5 on a telephone block. This is easy to convert to ethernet.
A few options come to mind.

One, get a patch panel for internet.
Two, terminate the cat5 for each room with RJ45 in the utility closet.

If it were me, i would get a patch panel and a switch.
All desired rooms would be toned out, then those wires moved to the patch panel.
Then use a short cable to connect the patch panel to your switch or router.
The cable connections are in this room also, so it shouldnt be hard to move the router there as well.

You can set up any way that is convenient for you., but to connect the bedrooms you must use the lines in the util closet.

Cable goes to modem
Modem sends internet to router or switch
Router or switch sends internet to all connected rooms.

You could even leave the router in the den. Just replace the den rj11 jack with rj45 jack,
Then terminate the wires for the den with rj45 plug in the util closet.
From there, move other rooms over to patch panel. Voila, hardwire in bedrooms

Old 08-19-2012, 09:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterZ View Post
Ok, well they used cat5 on a telephone block. This is easy to convert to ethernet.

All desired rooms would be toned out, then those wires moved to the patch panel.
The cable connections are in this room also, so it shouldnt be hard to move the router there as well.

You can set up any way that is convenient for you., but to connect the bedrooms you must use the lines in the util closet.

Cable goes to modem

You could even leave the router in the den. Just replace the den rj11 jack with rj45 jack,

Whew. This is a difficult read, how many options do you have there?
Old 08-19-2012, 09:19 PM   #4

Puttster

Cat 5 cable needs only 2 pairs for 10/100 ethernet so the same cable can carry 2 phone lines plus ethernet.

you would need all 4 pairs for 10/100/1000 but i doubt you need that

i dont havre handy which pairs are which but that is gooleable
kevinp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:25 PM   #5
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,000

I second the patch panel idea, check out monoprice.com for network stuff like this. You could mount it on the wall, or get a small wall mount rack so you can mount it in there with the rest of the equipment and switch. I like keystone patch panels, as you can also add phone connectors and other stuff.

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterZ View Post

Cable goes to modem

OK it is becoming clearer. Am I correct is assuming that the top cable in the telephone block is the cable coming in from the telephone company? Then on the other side of the block I would see connections of all four pairs down to the remaining connectors?

So by deinstalling connectors and putting them into a patch panel or a router I am taking them out of telephone service and putting them into network service. So let's say I terminate three of them with Rj-45s and plug them into my router. To get the coax to the router would I exchange that 3-way splitter for a 4-way? Then put Rj-45s on the other ends and job done.

If I wanted to keep the router in the den I would connect all three TIVO cables to a patch panel. Terminate the other ends with Rj-45s and plug the router into one of them? This would be a little handier because the router has several outlets on the back I could use for the TIVO and the PC. And also would save me a couple of weekly trips upstairs to reset it. Plus my router and modem will not fit in the electrical box.

Last edited by puttster; 08-20-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:17 AM   #7
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,318

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttster View Post
OK it is becoming clearer. Am I correct is assuming that the top cable in the telephone block is the cable coming in from the telephone company? Then on the other side of the block I would see connections of all four pairs down to the remaining connectors?

So by deinstalling connectors and putting them into a patch panel or a router I am taking them out of telephone service and putting them into network service. So let's say I terminate three of them with Rj-45s and plug them into my router. To get the coax to the router would I exchange that 3-way splitter for a 4-way? Then put Rj-45s on the other ends and job done.

If I wanted to keep the router in the den I would connect all three TIVO cables to a patch panel. Terminate the other ends with Rj-45s and plug the router into one of them? This would be a little handier because the router has several outlets on the back I could use for the TIVO and the PC. And also would save me a couple of weekly trips upstairs to reset it. Plus my router and modem will not fit in the electrical box.
Sounds like you have it.....
Yes, the top block does look like your incoming phone line.

As I understand your posts...coax goes to your cable modem...from modem to your wireless rounter is Ethernet....and I assume your wireless router has about 5 Ethernet ports on the back? Actually, your setup is pretty much like mine....minus the TiVo boxes (I don't have time for that much TV)

So...Incoming coax...to new 4-way splitter.....1 coax to cable modem, other 3 to Tivo's....(that's a lot of Tivo's)...

Ethernet from Modem to your wireless router.....

Those 3 Cat5's that you pulled off your phone block and terminated with RJ45's will now plug into the back of the wireless modem....

On the wall plates of the converted phone jacks...you will replace those RJ11 jacks with RJ45 jacks.

Just an FYI....HD sells the punch down jacks....(Ideal I believe) and includes the punch tool. You will also need an RJ45 crimp tool....(handy to have around).

Make sure you get the wires right...you want to wire up your Ethernets as straight through cables. Make sure you get the Blue-Blu/Wht on the center pins (4&5) with the Grn-Grn/Wht on pins 3 & 6). Don't do like some do and just line up all the pairs....

I use the same method every time....some of the punch blocks might have a slightly different color code.....the key is that you get the general pairing correct.

1 - Org/Wht
2 - Org
3 - Grn/Wht
4 - Blu/Wht
5 - Blu
6 - Grn
7 - Brn/Wht
8 - Brn

One last thing....make sure you get a good quality splitter....make sure it's good for 1Ghz...also note that each tap drops the signal 3-db....or, half the power....so a 4 tap splitter is dropping the signal quite at bit....I think that puts you pretty close to the limit before you need a repeater/amp...

Good luck and let us know how it works out....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
1 - Org/Wht
2 - Org
3 - Grn/Wht
4 - Blu
5 - Blu/Wht

6 - Grn
7 - Brn/Wht
8 - Brn
You swapped the blue pair; otherwise, it's OK.
operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #9
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by operagost View Post
You swapped the blue pair; otherwise, it's OK.
Brain fart......that's my allocation for the day....Thanks for correcting...

But would have still worked.....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
Old 08-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #10

I am certainly getting an education. Looks like if I go this way I will have to build a shelf or find a box to put the modem and router in. Could I get a little elaboration on how to set up with that stuff staying down in the den?

Also, I don't want to lose the land line in the den. Googling leads me to believe for that cable I can connect just the brown and the green pairs to the modem, and use a Rj-11 & Rj-45 jack set-up at the other end. Is that a good solution?
Old 08-20-2012, 12:16 PM   #11
JOATMON

As Kevin pointed out above, you 'can' use the same cable for Ethernet and phone if your content with T10/100 speeds....if you want faster speeds....then you need all 4 pairs....

Personally, unless you just don't have the existing cable, I would avoid putting phone and Ethernet on the same cat5 cable....

Is there a place you can put the modem and router that would have both coax and Ethernet access and not be in the way?

BTW...landline? What is that? (just joking....sort of). We have Vonage....and I know of a lot of people who have ditched the house phone all together and use cell only. Each has advantages....and disadvantages...

Old 08-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Is there a place you can put the modem and router that would have both coax and Ethernet access and not be in the way?

Yes, ideally I'd keep modem and router in the den. If possible, but I don't know what the connection would look like at the cable box. Could I detach the three cables from the telephone block and join them together with a joiner of some sort? Or maybe they are already joined together just as they sit now in the block and the network is actually all ready to go, just needs Rj-45 outlets?
Old 08-20-2012, 02:23 PM   #13
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttster View Post
Yes, ideally I'd keep modem and router in the den. If possible, but I don't know what the connection would look like at the cable box. Could I detach the three cables from the telephone block and join them together with a joiner of some sort? Or maybe they are already joined together just as they sit now in the block and the network is actually all ready to go, just needs Rj-45 outlets?
No no no.....you can not just 'join' them together. Each of those cables needs to plug into the router....one cable....one RJ45 plug....one port on the router.

That is why the guys were talking about a patch panel...it's a way to terminate the cat5 and then have an easy way to connect each channel to the router.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #14
"So I Re-Wired It"

Sometimes i complicate explanations

Keep the modem in the den.
Swap rj11 jack for rj45 jack in den, then connect modem to jack with ethernet cable.
In util closet, find the wire that goes to the den and terminate the end with rj45 plug, then plug it into the router line in jack.
Now tone out the other rooms, terminate those ends and plug em into the router #1,2,3, or 4
Also swap out the rj11 jacks for those rooms as well.

Now if your modem in the den has a port for the den pc, youre all set, otherwise youll need a router there too.
Trying to keep it simple

Twisted pairs get terminated solid stripe, solid stripe. A typical "B" style set up is:
Or Wh, Or, Grn Wh, Blu, Blu Wh, Grn, Brn Wh, Brn as stated above
Old 08-20-2012, 05:42 PM   #15
bbo

Rewards Points: 500

I'll second using the "B" (568B) standard. its a bit more common.

and as previosuly mentioned, you can get by with 4, but since you are using ethernet, punch/terminate it like it was designed to do. you'll be prepared for the higher speeds and power over ethernet should you ever need it. my guess is you will at some point be glad you did it to a standard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TIA/EIA-568

pic of pinouts in link above.

bbo is offline   Reply With Quote