Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-04-2012, 07:10 PM   #1

Share |
Arrow

Want to replace thermostat but . . .

I have radiant ceiling heat. The thermostat has two black wires (load) and two red wires (line). It is an old RA=STAT model.

The easy question first...What type of PROGRAMMABLE thermostat could I replace this with?

The hard question. I can turn OFF the breakers in the electric panel but I still get an electrical voltage at the thermostat. (I just had a new electric panel and all new breakers installed and it appears to be doing the same thing the old Federal Pacific did - which is to HEAT the room - even with the breakers OFF!)

This can NOT be right can it???

Papa Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Smoke View Post
I have radiant ceiling heat. The thermostat has two black wires (load) and two red wires (line). It is an old RA=STAT model.

The easy question first...What type of PROGRAMMABLE thermostat could I replace this with?

These would work... http://www.pexuniverse.com/honeywell...ro-thermostats

Check out the 8000 series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Smoke View Post
The hard question. I can turn OFF the breakers in the electric panel but I still get an electrical voltage at the thermostat. (I just had a new electric panel and all new breakers installed and it appears to be doing the same thing the old Federal Pacific did - which is to HEAT the room - even with the breakers OFF!)

This can NOT be right can it???
If you turn off the breakers and still have voltage at the t-stat, then you either didnt turn off the correct breaker, or something is amiss with the wiring and needs to be investigated....

stickboy1375 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #3

Was the new panel labeled when installed? If not, have the "installer" come back and do it, if it was labeled have him come back and do it RIGHT. Something is amiss alright. Glad you got rid of the FP panel anyway. Any chance you have a sub panel somewhere for just the radiant heat?