Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-19-2010, 03:47 PM   #1

Share |

wall timer question

Hi.. does this wall timer replace a switch completely, I can't have a switch on its side as the master on off?

http://www.intermatic.com/~/media/fi...20english.ashx

Does anyone know the pic below kind of timer in OFF position is constant on? In otherwords can it run indefinitiely?

Last edited by DIYGST; 04-19-2010 at 03:52 PM.
DIYGST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:05 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

wall timer question

You can have a switch control the power to the timer, but the timer will still count down.
If the switch is not on, and you turn the timer on, no power flows but the timer works.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:31 PM   #3

wall timer question

You could wire the light up to turn on with the timer OR the switch. Basically, if the timer OR the switch is "On", then the lights would be "On".

I don't think powering the lights with the timer "Off" is going to hurt the timer, but if there is a chance that could happen, you could use a double pole/double throw switch. Basically, when the switch is "OFF", it would power the timer to supply power to the lights. When the switch is "ON", it would turn on the lights and disconnect the power from the timer.

However, the nice thing about the switch shown in the link is that the concept of the two switches are logically linked together, such that when you set the switch to "Hold", you turn off the timer, and when you turn on the timer, you turn off the Hold. If you used two independant switches, then you could lead to confusion because you might turn the lights on with the timer, but someone come along and flip the switch. Then, when the timer is finished, the lights remain on indefinitely.
HooKooDooKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:44 PM   #4

wall timer question

Yeah, the digital timer I linked to is nice, it's just that I don't like if I turned the fan on, and decided to shut it off in 2 hours, I have to turn off the hold mode then engage in timer mode again. Which shuts the motor down and then on again, unnecessary wear.

I am hoping maybe there is something that let me switch from ON to timer mode, e.g. shut off in 2 hours, but maybe such a thing does not exists.

Can you explain more about the wiring?
Old 04-19-2010, 07:05 PM   #5

wall timer question

Think about this also... how much will this timer cost you and how much would a brand new exhaust fan cost you (assuming you're just looking to power a fart fan)?

What does one run from Broan/NuTone? $30? That said, the "wear" on the fan motor (again, assuming fart fan...) would be minimal. If you called Broan and asked their tech support folks how many cycles they put their QC test samples through you would probably be surprised.
brich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:09 PM   #6

wall timer question

Sorry for not being clear, it is used to control whole house fan that is fairly pricy. I want it to shut off after going to bed or it may get too chilly at 3am.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:49 PM   #7

wall timer question

Whole house fan? Do you have a model number so we can see what you mean?

I can't help but think of something like an AC unit.
brich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:21 PM   #8

wall timer question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYGST View Post
Yeah, the digital timer I linked to is nice, it's just that I don't like if I turned the fan on, and decided to shut it off in 2 hours, I have to turn off the hold mode then engage in timer mode again. Which shuts the motor down and then on again, unnecessary wear.
I get the impression that when you press the button to exit HOLD mode twice, the switch will either jump strait to timer mode OR turn off for just a moment. Given that you're talking about a whole house fan, it will keep turning for the moment the power is out and produce very little wear.

As for more on the wiring, I imagine that you can just simply wire the switches in parallel so that if either one is on, the fan is on... IF, that is, the timer is mechanical. If it's digital, it would be more of a problem requiring the DPDT switch to effecively remove the digital timer out of the loop when powered directly. But the first difficulty might be in locating a DPDT switch rated for 120V @15 amps.
HooKooDooKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:30 AM   #9
Electrical Contractor

wall timer question

The 8 hour timer you linked to should do the trick just fine. I have several of these in my shop you can have for $10 each if you want one.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!

Last edited by kbsparky; 04-20-2010 at 01:32 AM.
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote