Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-20-2007, 06:01 AM   #1

Share |

wall switches in the UK, repeat jamming

I'm in the UK and have a wall switch (45amp double pole) from the mains to turn the shower on and off (the switch isn't in the shower room ).

About a month ago the switch jammed 'on' and wouldn't click off... no problem thinks I, and replaced the switch. Now the same thing as happened, this time jammed 'off'. The switch won't flip to the other position.

It seems to be a mechanical problem with the switch (electrics are all fine, nothing has tripped etc). Any ideas what could be causing it? The same thing happening to 2 switches seems unlikely.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jon

houseofathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:40 AM   #2

When you say 45 Amp double pole are you talking about the wall switch or the panel breaker protecting the branch circuit? Has the switch worked in the past? At 240 volts, 45 Amps is a lot of juice. Normally when a switch jams the contacts are welded shut which can be caused by more current flowing than the switch rating.

Edit: In most case a switch that jams due to the contacts being welded is a symptom not the cause of the problem. Most likely the load is the problem.

Last edited by spebby; 11-20-2007 at 09:52 AM.
spebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:10 AM   #3

yup, it's a wall switch. the circuit welding the switch closed seems possible. The shower unit requires a mains feed of 45 amps, which is what the switch is rated at, so i'm going to try a higher amperage switch and take a closer look at the mains load (to check there's nothing strange going on).

thanks.
jon.
houseofathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:09 PM   #4

My advice is to have the shower checked by a pro. If the switch is rated at 45 amps and the shower requires 45 amp service, then something is wrong with the shower. A higher rated switch will also fail or start a fire. I am not a pro, but have years of electrical experience.
spebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:15 PM   #5
" Euro " electrician

there are a possiblty that can cause the mess with the switch one is poor qualunty switch

second thing i am not sure if you are aware with this or not your shower heater required a RCD [ GFCI ] also

i dont know if that the case but it can if the wires or switch is mounted very tight and when get hot and it can screw up the connection..

hope that will answer the question here

Merci, Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote