Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2012, 02:34 PM   #1

Share |

Wall sconce installation question

Working to remodel a bathroom and have a wiring question- I would like to install wall sconces on wood trim in front of the new mirrors. Problem is that wall studs interfere with the logical position for the trim planks/lights and resulting junction boxes. Questions:
1. The connection of the power cable to light fixture must be accessible, does it have to be in a junction box? (I'm thinking answer has to be yes but had to ask anyway)
2. Junction box must be easily accessible, can some of it be covered with something not easily removed (the mirror). The junction boxes could be positioned to allow for access to roughly half the surface area with the rest being covered by mirror. The light fixture itself would anchor to the wood trim/stud and not line up with the box, but would overlap it and connections would be accessible.

Any suggestions that don't involve ripping down all drywall and restructuring studs?

msadams1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

I don't get why you need junction boxes. There must be boxes behind the fixtures, is that what you mean?

Old 08-25-2012, 03:27 PM   #3

I will have 4 lights in all and they will be new locations- no junction boxes there yet but assuming I need them where I make the connections.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #4

You make the connections in the box behind the lights. Why would you need additional boxes?
Old 08-25-2012, 04:21 PM   #5

The boxes behind the lights are what I'm struggling to position. The position these new lights need to go overlaps wall studs so I can't put the new boxes directly where the lights will be. The lights themselves could be mounted on the wood planks so no problem there, can the box be offest from the light- enough overalp to access the box and connections but not aligned as would be in a typical installation. I apologize because I know I'm probably not describing this very well. I could probably describe it better with a sketch.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:37 PM   #6

No, you cannot offset the boxes or mount the lights right to the wood. You MUST mount fixtures to a box.
If the light lands on a stud you can use a round pancake box.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:07 PM   #7

That's what I was afraid of. Never heard of a pancake box, though- I will check it out. Thank you for your help with it!
Old 08-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #8
Licensed Electrician

Be very careful on how you wire them. Pan boxes are usually only rated for a total of 3 #14 wires...or more specifically, one cable.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:35 PM   #9

Sometimes two 14/2 in a 4" pancake is the only way, and done carefully it is not an issue. As opposed to chopping out a stud it is the lesser of two evils. IMHO of course.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:37 PM   #10

That is what I am finding- because I am tying together 4 fixtures, I need two cables in the box. I have drywall plus the thickness of the wood plank to work with, estimate a total of 1.25"- does anyone sell the pan boxes with depth options other than the .5"?
Old 08-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #11

With 1.25" you can probably get away with a standard 4" octagon box. Even if it sticks out a bit it may work.
If not you can relieve the stud 1/4" with no ill effects to make the box flush with the surface.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:43 PM   #12
Licensed Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey
With 1.25" you can probably get away with a standard 4" octagon box. Even if it sticks out a bit it may work.
If not you can relieve the stud 1/4" with no ill effects to make the box flush with the surface.
I agree

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
Speedy Petey (08-25-2012)
Old 08-25-2012, 09:47 PM   #13

Got it- I will give that a try.