Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2012, 09:36 PM   #1

Share |

Wall oven microwave combo

I am replacing a microwave wall oven combo with a separate microwave and wall oven in the same space. The old unit was wired on a 240/120 combo 30a circuit with 10-3wg. The original wall oven had an outlet on the unit that the microwave plugged into, and obviously the new single wall oven does not have this outlet. My plan is to get a new box and 120v outlet. I will wire the oven the same as the original except I will add additional wires to the wire nuts for one of the hot wires, the neutral wire, and the ground wire. I will connect these to the outlet that will be used for the microwave. Will this work, and is this the best way to do this? Can I use 12 gauge wire for this microwave outlet?
Thanks

patrick584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
Licensed Electrician

You will have to refer to the manufacturer specs. I'm guessing that the range will require a 30A 240V circuit and the micro will require its own 20A 120V circuit.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:20 PM   #3

I agree the wall oven will need its own 30A circuit which is already setup. The microwave will not be mounted and will be freestanding on a shelf. I have heard that non-mounted microwaves don't need dedicated circuits, and can be used on the 20A general counter circuits. Can I add a box to this circuit that will be located behind the microwave? Is there a limit to how many receptacles can be on this 20A circuit?
patrick584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:40 PM   #4

There is no limit to the number of receptacles but they can only kitchen, pantry and dining room loads and no lighting loads.

you can put the microwave on this circuit and can install a receptacle convenient to plugging in the microwave.

ba cautious though. what is the wattage on the microwave. If its large (1200W or larger) a dedicated circuit would be a good idea, IMO
kevinp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp22
There is no limit to the number of receptacles but they can only kitchen, pantry and dining room loads and no lighting loads.

you can put the microwave on this circuit and can install a receptacle convenient to plugging in the microwave.

ba cautious though. what is the wattage on the microwave. If its large (1200W or larger) a dedicated circuit would be a good idea, IMO
There Ina limit to receptacles that you can put on a single circuit. 15amp breaker= 12 15 amp receptacles. I would suggest that you put your microwave on its own dedicated circuit. 20amp breaker, 12/2 wire and a 20 amp t-slot recepatcle
Rochsolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:18 PM   #6
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochsolid View Post
There Ina limit to receptacles that you can put on a single circuit. 15amp breaker= 12 15 amp receptacles. I would suggest that you put your microwave on its own dedicated circuit. 20amp breaker, 12/2 wire and a 20 amp t-slot recepatcle
Not in the US.
15 amp receptacles are fine on a 20 amp breaker, and 20 amp receptacles are not required.
kevinp22 (09-02-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 10:25 PM   #7
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
Not in the US.
15 amp receptacles are fine on a 20 amp breaker, and 20 amp receptacles are not required.
As long it is 15 amp duplex that is fine on 20 amp breaker but 15 amp singleplex now that is differnt story.

The 15 amp singleplex will have to match the breaker size so if you have 15 amp singleplex then use 15 amp breaker but if you have 20 amp singleplex then you can use 20 amp breaker.

Merci,
Marc