Wall Oven Blocked By Electrical - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 27

Wall Oven blocked by Electrical

You guys have been so helpful in the past. It's going to be very hard to explain my issue but I'll try.

I have a double Jenn Air 220 oven that I am trying to install in my kitchen. The oven is 30" wide. The electrical coming out of the oven is on the right side. On both sides of the back of the oven there is a 4" cutout from top to bottom. So only 22" actually goes all the way back to the wall. The fat BX coming out of the oven is meant to sit in the 4" notch out. Unfortunetely, in the wall behind the 4" notch is a 2x4 with barely enough room for a small box. To make matters worse there is a heating vent running right up against the 2x4. Taking out the vent is out of the quesiton. I tried installing the box on the other side of the 2x4 but the oven won't push in all the way. I even cutout a notch under the oven bottom board to give the wire more space but since the BX on the oven wire is so thick there is no flexibility in the wire. The wire will barely bend at 90 degrees. Remember the wire has to come down the over then 90 degree turn towards the wall and then another 90 degree turn up to the box.

This isn't so much an electrical issue but thought you may have dealt with this in the past. Can I break the bx casing to allow for more flexibility? I am worried that the wire could get cut by the sharp bx end. Any advice is appreciated.

Advertisement

heyjoe91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,910

Can you post a pic? Most times the box is surface mounted and the flex goes into the side of the junction box at the top of the oven.

Advertisement

Old 09-12-2012, 10:09 AM   #3

I am trying to upload a drawing I did in paint but it isn't working.

The old box that was in there for the old oven was mounted on top of the wall since only a small portion of the old oven went all the way back to the wall. This oven doesn't have that much room so I punched a hole in the wall and mounted a box.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:25 AM   #4

Here is a drawing. I had to shrink it down a little. Hope you can still get the idea.
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #5
Resi EC

Rewards Points: 250

What cabinets surround the oven, would it be possible to install the J-box through a hole into another cabinet? Even one below or above the oven.

Yes, have run into this before, yes PITA
Gac66610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:01 AM   #6
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

I'll answer the obvious question. No you cant break the armour for more flexibility
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:58 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

what is the model #?

Advertisement

allthumbsdiy is offline   Reply With Quote