Wall-Mounted Box For Wall Plates (Cannot Compromise Wall) - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2006, 12:36 AM   #1
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10

Wall-Mounted Box for Wall Plates (Cannot Compromise Wall)

Hello, I hope I found the right forum.

I'm in need of a box that can accomodate two wall plates. I'm not running electricity, only video signal. The box needs a depth of approximately four inches.

The plate can be seen here:


I'm in a situation in which I can't compromise any walls, but can instead mount an external box. I know something like this could be made fairly easily, but the problem is, I'm fairly inept, don't have the proper tools and would love to find an already-made solution. I've searched and searched and searched, but I can't find one. I think something like this has to exist, but I just don't know the proper search terms.

I guess the closest thing I can think to what I need would be a small fuse-box style box, but instead of switches in the front, a wall-plate mount in their place.



lungnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 07:09 AM   #2
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 682
Rewards Points: 500

What you are looking for is called a "two gang" box.

Your problem is going to be finding one that is 4 inches deep. Most surface mount boxes go up to 2 1/8 and most that are intended to be inside the wall stop at 3 1/2.

I looked at your link, and I am wondering if you need the full 4 inches. The devices you show, look like they are made to go into a standard box. In that case a "two gang" "wiremold" box will work.

Wiremold is a name brand and they have their own web site under that name.

You can also check out the RACO web site for metal boxes. Most can be fitted with a two gang "decora" cover that will let you mount your devices.

Some companies make a 4x4x4 "junction box" that you may be able to fit a two gang cover to somehow.

Another option is to take a trip to a local electrical supply house and see if they will let you look at what they have in stock. Be prepaired to wait around if they are busy. Nothing happens quickly at a supply house. Remember everyone else there is on the clock.

on page 40 of this : http://www-public.tnb.com/contractor/docs/bowers.pdf doc it shows masonry boxes. they are 3 1/2 deep. but they are metal and not very decorative.


Last edited by jwhite; 12-30-2006 at 07:22 AM.
jwhite is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trying to replace wall mounted light fixture jtm2300 Electrical 4 08-03-2007 09:44 PM
Atlantic-need your opinion on markd's comments about my vapor barrier? yummy mummy Building & Construction 11 03-07-2007 09:47 AM
Wall mounted scart / aerial socket miked Electrical 5 01-05-2007 05:40 PM
Load Bearing Wall? Traybae Remodeling 3 11-05-2006 01:39 PM
Load Bearing Wall? Traybae Building & Construction 1 11-05-2006 01:01 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1