Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2011, 09:47 PM   #1

Share |

wall light vs ceilin cans

I am working on a home gym and the ceiling head room isn't what I'd ideally like it to be. Floor to bottom of joist is just under 8'. I do not want to go with a permanent drywall type of ceiling as I have piping and other cables run for the floor above. I'd like to do a drop ceiling, but I can't have it too far down from the joists. Just enough so I can drop in the tiles into the grid. That leaves me with limited options for ceiling lighting. I was thinking can lights that can go in between the joists which can help on space.

I was also pondering the idea of some wall lights or wall sconces. Maybe either that or can lights or a combination of both. Are there wall lights that would give off enough lighting for a home gym? The room is 21'x13'.

Any ideas or thoughts?

jgrohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:58 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Fluorescent lights give off the most light for the least operating cost. I would consider a lay-in troffer or two.

Recessed would need to be mounted to the grid so the housing can drop down flush with the tile face.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #3

Would I be able to get the troffer light inbetween the joists?
jgrohol is offline   Reply With Quote