Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-02-2010, 01:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 43

from wall light to ceiling fan

there should be no problem with me relocating the light (sconce) mounted on the wall next to the bedroom door and moving it to the ceiling as a source for a ceiling fan/light, right? (switch for wall sconce next to door)
how do most of you have a ceiling fan set up? switch for fan? switch/dimmer for light? for both? remote? pull chain? what seems to be the 'standard' now?

altc81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:55 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,232

I have 2 switches , one for the light and 1 for the fan.
Some fans have a remote that only need one hot input to work.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:01 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

From what I've seen, the most common/desirable setup for a ceiling fan is two power wires, one for the light and one for the fan. When my house was built, even the bedrooms that didn't have ceiling fans installed, the builder still installed two switches and ran 14/3 from the switches to the lights AND installed a ceiling fan rated ceiling box to hold the lights.

But in the case of a retofit, the main questions become how much demolision you want/can do and what sort of access do you have to run any new required wires from the switch to the ceiling. If you have attic access above the room, then it's not a huge deal. If not, it becomes more difficult without creating the hassle of creating additional repairs.

Now the thing you simply can not do is simply move the wires from the wall sconce to the ceiling. The wires for the sconce are likely only long enough to the sconce and there will be no way to "stretch" them to the ceiling. And if you try to splice into the wires at the sconce, the splice must be in a junction box and the box must remain accessable (i.e. placing a "blank" plate over the box). Otherwise, you will have to go back to the switch to run new wire for the fan.

If there is already one wire in place, then you have the options of trying to run a second wire to control fan/light seperately, using various solutions available for remote controls (so that one power wire can control both independantly). Or simply just use pull chains.

So it just sort of depends upon your situation.

For a few examples, I wanted to add a ceiling fan to the kitchen. I didn't want the added hassle of running wires from a new switch to the fan, so I find the most convieniet "hot" that I could tie into, ran constant power to the fan, and just used the pull chain. I also wanted to add a ceiling fan in a toilet room (with the door closed in summer, body heat would quickly warm that room). So I installed a 36" ceiling fan with light in place of the existing light. The existing switched power powers both the fan and light (so turn off the light, you turn off the fan) and again just used the pull chain to turn the fan on/off. Now I've got attic access to where I could have run another wire and put the fan on it's own switch. But I just didn't feel like bothering with the hassle when I could instead just adjust the pull chain length so that it's reachable from a sitting position.
HooKooDooKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:53 AM   #4
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,010

If you only wire one switch with 2-wire (black & white + ground) cable, you can use this switch, which has a control module located in the fan canopy. It allows separate fan (speed) and light (dimming) and works really well (just installed one at my brother's). New construction, you can just run the extra wire, but this is great for remodeling.

This one has an IR remote that comes with it too (nice to control from the bed). They also make a cheaper one with no remote.

http://www.lutron.com/CMS400/pagebuy...=16949&mn=1803

Last edited by secutanudu; 05-03-2010 at 11:06 AM.
secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:23 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

I did all of my rooms last year and simply have 2 switches.. Dimmer switch on the light and a standard 2-way on the fan. My daughters have bunk beds so occasionally i will use the pull chain in their room to shut the fan and or light off so my 2 yr old doesn't play with the lights or fan!
gmhammes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:30 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 43

There is no problem with the demolition part. im framing in a ceiling (original is vaulted) so i will have plenty of wall to remove to fish the wire.
as long as the wire goes from the fan all the way to the swich (im removing the wall sconce all together) it should be fine that i patch and fill the box where the sconce was right? i really do like the links posted. the maestro switch looks like the real deal.
or is static power to the fan with a remote more conveinent? its pretty hard what to decide to do.
altc81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:07 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by altc81 View Post
its pretty hard what to decide to do.
So long as you go ahead and wire it up now with two switches and seperate hots for the fan and lights, it will be easy to make changes in the future. For example, if you want constant power to the fan and just want to use the pull chain... never turn the switch off
HooKooDooKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:19 AM   #8
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,010

Yeah, just run the extra wire regardless. Even if you only put in one switch now, they have fan/light combo switches that fit in a single spot. So you can always Switch later.

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote