Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2010, 08:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

In-wall Digital Timer Installation

Hi there- My front entrance-way has an old timer and a light switch in the box. The timer controls 2 lights, one over the front door and another over the garage door... while the switch controls the inside light. This inside light is also controlled by another switch (if that matters).

Anyway, the older timer had two black wires attached to it, one coming from the wall and the other coming off the switch. However, my new timer has a black, white, red and green wire. I linked the white to a group of neutral white wires tucked into the back of the box, attached the black to the hot black wire coming from the switch, attached the red to the other black wire coming from the wall and grounded the green.

All works well for the front door light, but the garage door light is no longer working??? Any advice for me? Thanks!

worked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:55 AM   #2
Just call me Andrew

What is the make/model of the new timer?

It sounds like the new timer needs a neutral wire attached to it, whereas your old one did not.

Are the bulbs in your garage lights fluorescent?

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:23 AM   #3

Utilitech In Wall Digital Timer

Yes, it did need to be attached to the neutral wire, unlike the old one.

No, the bulbs are not fluorescent.

I'm thinking it's the timer... the wiring seems right to me. Any other advice is appreciated!
worked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:42 AM   #4
" Euro " electrician

When you hook up the timer for the outside luminiares did you noted there were just one conductor going to the luminaire or there were two conductors if that the case double check the wirenuts sometime they not always be on right spot so double check if that comeout good.

Then you will have to check the outdoor luminaire nearest the switch to see if the connection is clean and tight.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
timer