Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2008, 11:07 AM   #1

Share |

Wall to ceiling

Hi;
I am doing some re-wiring in my old home.
I want to rewire the dining room ceiling fixture, and would love to be able to do it without cutting any walls or the ceiling in the dining room.
Here's the situation:

Ceiling fixture in dining room.
Wall switch in dining room.

Here's my thought:

Since I am already doing some wiring and opening walls in the room directly above the dining room, I am thinking I might be able to open the wall directly above the area between the two joists where the dining room ceiling fixture is located.

Next, I would drill down through the upstairs wall header, and hopefully be able to drop a fish wire through that hole into the floor/ceiling space.

Next, I would remove the old fixture and box in the dining room ceiling.
I would then fish the wire I dropped in the previous step to the ceiling opening (where the old fixture was located) using my Greenlee Fish Stix.

Once I have the fish wire, I will pull up my cable from the light fixture to the wall in the room above.
I will then continue up this wall to the attic, then come down another wall which I have already gained access to and is located directly above the wall in the dining room where the light switch is located.
I will wire to the switch, and continue to the basement to pick up power.

My question is mainly, is there another "header" that will block my fish wire from coming through the wall header and into the area above the ceiling?

Thanks

FW

fw2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:51 PM   #2

Wall to ceiling

Quote:
My question is mainly, is there another "header" that will block my fish wire from coming through the wall header and into the area above the ceiling?

First of all....too much information. I don't really know which area you are talking about.

Second, you never REALLY know until you do it. Headers are above doors, windows and other openings to carry the weight of the structure above them. If you are above an opening, you will have a header.

220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:56 PM   #3

Wall to ceiling

Sorry for being too "wordy". I tend to get that way sometimes.
I think you helped me already though; The area I am looking at is above a door.

FW
Old 03-31-2008, 03:11 PM   #4

Wall to ceiling

You can investigate using a scratch awl without doing too much damage. 1/4" holes are pretty easy to repair.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:18 PM   #5

Wall to ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220/221 View Post
You can investigate using a scratch awl without doing too much damage. 1/4" holes are pretty easy to repair.
I also have a long 1/4" drill bit. That saved me a lot of trouble in another wall.

FW