Wadsworth Main Breaker - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-17-2012, 10:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wadsworth Main Breaker

I am looking to buy a house that has a Wadsworth main breaker box feeding the seperate panel. The problem is that there is no main breaker in the box and I cannot seem to find the correct one to purchase so that I can get an inspection of the electrical system. The house was built in 1940. The outside of the panel box reads: Wadsworth 100 AM 3 Pole 100 AM 240 AC-3 (then there is a circle with a verticle line going through it). Thank you in advance for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Wadsworth Main Breaker-1345151976292.jpg   Wadsworth Main Breaker-1345151982981.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by EricJon; 08-17-2012 at 10:21 PM.
EricJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:26 AM   #2
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Wadsworth Main Breaker

Ericjon.,

As you post the photo that is not a circuit breaker box that is a fused box with 200 amp pull out section so therefore are you missing a fuse pull out block ?

P.S. it look too big to be a 100 amp verison unless that is 480 volt verison but really I doubt it.

Take other photo of other panels if you can find it.

Merci,
Marc

Advertisement

Old 08-18-2012, 06:26 AM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Wadsworth Main Breaker

I would not buy such a house unless the seller replaced the main disconnect first.

Time to replace that box. You do not want to resurrect an old pull-out box, especially a Wadsworth!

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:18 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,204

Wadsworth Main Breaker

Can't imagine why it would be so, but from the OP's description of what's written on the box, this sounds like 3-phase AC.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:56 AM   #5
Electrical Contractor

Wadsworth Main Breaker

Actually, it's not. Wadsworth commonly called their 2-pole disconnects "3-pole" since they counted the neutral wire in the total.

One could phathom that a corner-grounded delta 3-phase system would have been permissible to use with such a disconnect.

Similar to the horsepower ratings you commonly find on air compressors and shop vacuums these days. They advertise the ratings based on the LRA of the motor, not the actual delivered horsepower. All one has to do is look at the motor itself, and if the HP rating is absent, or marked with something like "spl" then you know you've been hoodwinked.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:12 PM   #6

Wadsworth Main Breaker

I will upgrade the breaker system once I purchase the house; I received an estimate for 1,000 - 1,250 dollars to upgrade the main and the regular box. I just need to get my hands on a breaker so that I can test out the electrical system before I buy.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Wadsworth Main Breaker-1345152078942.jpg   Wadsworth Main Breaker-1345151989917.jpg  
Old 08-18-2012, 04:16 PM   #7
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Wadsworth Main Breaker

I think your missing the point. You can't put a breaker in that box. And why can't you test the electrical system as is?
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #8

Wadsworth Main Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew79 View Post
I think your missing the point. You can't put a breaker in that box. And why can't you test the electrical system as is?
I meant to say that I need to put the fuses in the box. There is no power to the house because there is no main fuse...Sorry I am a amateur about electrical components...
Old 08-18-2012, 05:59 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 546

Wadsworth Main Breaker

There is no fuse in that box it's just a bar that snaps in place at the top.
If there willing to pay the cost or deduct it from the selling price why would they not just get it done before anyone buys it?
No one's going to have that house pass inspection until they do it.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote