Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Voltage sag or VD. Where do they draw the line in the sand?

I am having some voltage drop issues at my house. Problem HAS been traced to the service and not in the house. PC was just out to swap out a service feeder that was 6 and 4ga to all 2ga but that did not change a thing and I was pretty surprised.

I was told that if we go any further, they want to install a meter monitor for a week to look at the issues. I have done plenty of testing and at 75A draw, I can get both legs below 10% or 108V. With a 100A inrush, I can pull it below 100V for 1-2sec. I realize inrush is a hard player so I am working with constant loading to prove my point.

At 100A draw, it is really struggling around 107-108V which is right on the edge. As I told them, if my constant draw is up and I try to start any motor, I have all sorts of problems and it is just getting worse. They are feeding 7 houses on a 50kva transformer and I am at the end of the run.

Where do power companies draw the line to upgrade a transformer, etc? I would really like to make sure this is an isolated issue and not something everyone experiences. I have never seen it this bad but I usually do not do this much testing.

At a modest 30A load, I am down 8-9V.

viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:10 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

if they don't charge, just ask the POCO to put the recorder on. They probably have one setting around collecting dust right now anyway.

sounds like they are overloading the x-former. If they aren't willing to swap it out, they need to do a load study on the transformer to determine if it is being overloaded.

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 16

If the voltage drop is occurring mainly in the transformer due to heavy load then everyone will experience almost the same voltage drop.

If the voltage drop is occurring in the wires then the farther you are from the transformer the more voltage drop you will experience. More voltage drop (expressed say in millivolts per yard) occurs in a section of wire with more current going through it, all other things including wire thickness being equal. So most likely more voltage drop occurs between the transformer and the tap off to the first house and not that much occurs between the tap off to the second to last house and the last house.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:37 PM   #4

If the voltage drop is occurring mainly in the transformer due to heavy load then everyone will experience almost the same voltage drop.

If the voltage drop is occurring in the wires then the farther you are from the transformer the more voltage drop you will experience. More voltage drop (expressed say in millivolts per yard) occurs in a section of wire with more current going through it, all other things including wire thickness being equal. So most likely more voltage drop occurs between the transformer and the tap off to the first house and not that much occurs between the tap off to the second to last house and the last house.

If both legs are about the same, even if low voltage, then it is not a loose neutral problem.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:59 PM   #5

No, they installed a load tester yesterday and determined the neutral is a non-issue here. I was actually surprised that the 2ga wire did not do a thing.

I guess what my main question is here is, are my voltage readings considered an issue or par for the course and should learn to live with it? The PC will not indicate at what voltage and for how long will get something to change...

I would not be as worried with voltage sag with very high loads but seeing 8V drop at only a 15A load seems excessive IMO..

More than likely not much point in load testing at the X former if they just want to slide my voltage charts. I have multiple high load machines in the garage but I am careful not to over load anything or cause excessive load beyond what my service is. That being said, I just want good performance within the limits of my service. Everything in the service is good for 150A and probably would be just fine at 200A for short durations which is perfect.

That being said, when I see 105-110 volts at a modest load, I just get concerned because we are not even in the heat of summer yet!

Last edited by viper; 05-10-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:12 PM   #6
nap
You talking to me?

are you measuring your voltage at the service? What you have in your house is irrelevant (to the POCO).
Your voltage is to a point it is not acceptable, if that voltage is at the service.

Don't know where you live but some states/areas require no more than 5%+-. If you are in such an area, you are well below acceptable.

Quote:
Where do power companies draw the line to upgrade a transformer, etc?
in my area: when they burn up from being overloaded (seriously)
so, where are you measuring these voltages and did the POCO take readings at the transformer while you loaded it?

have you spoken with your neighbors? Do you get along with your neighbors to where you could ask them if they are having problems or maybe even check at their house?

what is the size of the conductor before it gets to your service drop?
Old 05-10-2011, 02:30 PM   #7

Voltage has been checked at meter can and indoors with no appreciable drop. Was able to easily drop voltage to 110V for the lineman with a 50A load at the meter can. In which he replies "how often does that happen?", being kind of smart but still ok to deal with. I wanted to tell him, 50A ain't ****, I can throw down 300A if you want to go there but I realize I cannot run my machines at full bore and only asking to get what I should be getting.

I have not talked with any neighbors but most are electrically illiterate and would not know what I was talking about. As long as something runs, it works perfect for them.

The service is laid out like this. 50kva Xformer to approx 150ft of solid open air conductor to a distribution pole (unknown conductor size). Taken from there 75ft on 2ga Al stranded to a spot pole. That spot pole branches to 2 homes, mine and another. Mine is now 2ga Al all the way to the house which is a 50ft run, the neighbor is about 75ft on 4ga Al to their house. SO, 2 houses feeding on 1 2ga cable. Issue is I technically have a 100A rated meter can BUT have been told even by the POCO that the contacts and head are the same for 200A, just the physical size of the box is bigger. Never the less, I still want to be able to get my full rates service within the tolerance.

Obviously I am asking every inch of my service here and they might just tell me I need to upgrade at my cost. I know they would bring more power free of charge but I would have to set another panel, wire, codes, inspections, all things I don't want to deal with right now.

One concern I have is they did say if more power is recommended, they would likely set me and 2 other homes on a 25kva transformer instead of upgrading the 50 to a 75. That really is not much head room IMO. That is only about 83A/240V continuous for 3 homes if I ran my numbers right. 25kva *.8 = 20kw/240V. I know there is a little head room in there but that 25kva just for myself would be preferred.

I guess I am assuming .8 for PF. Not real sure where that actually runs out here but most of my loads are motor loads so .8 would be pretty close.

Last edited by viper; 05-10-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:41 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 4

Just let them put on the monitor and quit your second guessing for a week
Anti-wingnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:02 PM   #9

Already ordered it. Original lineman showed back up to let me know they will be out in 1-2 days to install it. Though I am a little concerned about any excessive draw creating questions, I think the only way to get it fixed is to monitor it. At least I too will get to see how much instant power I use and what they would recommend for a service.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Though I am a little concerned about any excessive draw creating questions
Seriously, stop thinking. You are thinking this to death. They are contractually obligated to get you the amperage you requested when you ordered your service. They are legally required to ensure that this is delivered at the proper voltage. It's on them, it's not your problem, and from what I have seen, POCO's are sincere in this, and take their job seriously
Old 05-10-2011, 03:34 PM   #11

Well, I am just trying to protect my own equipment. As well, I know that when that baby Xformer goes boom, they will be knocking on my door first but maybe that is how we get a bigger one...
Old 05-10-2011, 03:35 PM   #12
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-wingnut View Post
Seriously, stop thinking. You are thinking this to death. They are contractually obligated to get you the amperage you requested when you ordered your service. y
I think there is a situation involved though with the OP's service. If he has a 100 amp meter, how is his gear inside capable of allowing a 300 amp draw? Sounds like an illegal installation.

Quote:
Though I am a little concerned about any excessive draw creating questions, I think the only way to get it fixed is to monitor it
Old 05-10-2011, 03:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
I think there is a situation involved though with the OP's service. If he has a 100 amp meter, how is his gear inside capable of allowing a 300 amp draw? Sounds like an illegal installation.
Then he is either going to have to down-size or go solar with his grow op
Old 05-10-2011, 03:47 PM   #14

When you are drawing very little current do you see your voltage readings vary noticeably anyway? This would be due to too thin wires up on the poles and/or an overloaded transformer, while your neighbors are using different amounts of power.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:59 PM   #15

Yes Allan, that is why I called them originally. At only 20A of load, I am seeing voltage sag of 9Vish. Normal reaction would be to assume that if you really ask for some current, voltage would drop to unsafe levels. Kind of pointing to an overloaded Xformer or wire issues but it certainly is not a problem in my house.

Regarding the 300A draw, that was just an example but yes, I do have machines that will easily pull that BUT they are fused and breakered down to a fraction of that and controlling how much work they do. I have a couple 20kva rated machines and a 40kva rated machine. They are ALL protected correctly and I want power use like a hawk. Nothing illegal of about the install.