Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2011, 02:03 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Voltage reducer 13 to 12 VDC

Hello,

I have a golf cart that has a +12VDC accessory light bar. The cart has (8) 6.5V batteries installed. We have two batteries in series providing +13VDC to the light bar. The light bar runs fine, it just runs a little bright and a couple of the strobes have died prematurely. I came across a 16/18V -> 12V voltage reducer but it provides too much of a reduction from a measly 13V, dropping it down to about 10.75V.

Does anyone know of a way to provide a simple +13VDC to +12VDC voltage reduction?

Thanks for your help.

alkiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 02:57 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

You would have to use a resistor to drop the voltage. You will need to find out how many ohms the load is, you can try a varistor, vs. hard wiring in a resistor.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4900110_redu...resistors.html
http://www.ehow.com/how_7618478_calc...resistors.html
http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/in...;topic=23221.0
http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...&fr=att-portal

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:17 PM   #3
JOATMON

Is this light bar from an automotive application?

If so, then 13Vdc should not have hurt it. The typical automotive electrical system will go up to about 14.5 Vdc when the engine is running. If the lights are too bright, then change the bulb to a lower wattage.

Have you actually measured the voltage going to the light bar or are you just assuming that it's 13 Vdc?

One other thing....I would not operate the light bar while the cart is being charged...the actual voltage across those batteries will be more than 6.5/bat.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:41 PM   #4
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkiser View Post
Hello,

I have a golf cart that has a +12VDC accessory light bar. The cart has (8) 6.5V batteries installed. We have two batteries in series providing +13VDC to the light bar. The light bar runs fine, it just runs a little bright and a couple of the strobes have died prematurely. I came across a 16/18V -> 12V voltage reducer but it provides too much of a reduction from a measly 13V, dropping it down to about 10.75V.

Does anyone know of a way to provide a simple +13VDC to +12VDC voltage reduction?

Thanks for your help.
Did you measure the voltage? What kind of batteries are these? 6.5V doesn't correspond well to any combination of lead acid cells (2V each nominally), unless it's a 3-cell battery and mostly charged perhaps? Regardless, a normal car battery is not 12V unless it's almost dead. Normal fully-charged voltage is 14.7 or so, and automotive equipment needs to handle up to 24V or so for brief periods. A 13V nominal system should work fine with any automotive equipment. What is the actual voltage during operation?
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:46 PM   #5
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
You would have to use a resistor to drop the voltage. You will need to find out how many ohms the load is, you can try a varistor, vs. hard wiring in a resistor.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4900110_redu...resistors.html
http://www.ehow.com/how_7618478_calc...resistors.html
http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/in...;topic=23221.0
http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...&fr=att-portal
A resistor is only usable for this if the load is very consistent, which this probably wouldn't be. The better solution is to use diodes. Their voltage drop is constant regardless of current (mostly). Each regular silicon diode will drop 0.4-0.6V, so a stack of 2-3 in series should drop about a volt. For larger voltage reductions, zener diodes provide controlled voltage drops ranging from a couple volts up to hundreds.
The Following User Says Thank You to mpoulton For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (10-08-2011)
Old 10-08-2011, 08:16 PM   #6

The trouble with using a resistor is that unless the load is always
constant the voltage drop will vary accordingly.
What you want is some thing that has a constant voltage
drop reguardless of load.
And there is,
Use two large power diodes.
The voltage drop across each diode is around .4v to .6v.
So two in series would work real well.
Al you have to do is figure out what the maximum load is,
Then select the appriopriate rated diode.
I would go for 5a or 7a diodes.
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:09 PM   #7

Quote:
The light bar runs fine, it just runs a little bright and a couple of the strobes have died prematurely
The strobes don't run off of 12v or 13v. The power pack handles the voltage, and it's much higher than 12v, often 300v or more.

As DDawg said, if these are automotive strobes then there is no problem with them running on 13v.
AandPDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:33 PM   #8

[quote=AandPDan;744818]The strobes don't run off of 12v or 13v. The power pack handles the voltage, and it's much higher than 12v, often 300v or more.

Whilst the zenon tubes do indeed require 300v or more to work,
There is usually an inbuilt step up circuit to supply this from the 12v.
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:18 AM   #9

Hey everyone thanks for your replies.

Here is the lightbar I have installed:

http://www.whelen.com/install/136/13657.pdf

I have the version without the traffic advisory signal.

Yes I did rate the voltage with a meter and it comes to 13v, although I now realize that the cart was freshly charged so the batteries may actually be 6v. I also then realized that the golf cart (per the manual) is a 48v so that divided by 8 batteries gives me my 6v per battery.

Thanks for the tip about running the lightbar while it's charging. These carts are used by people everyday, so I'll make up a note to tell people to unplug the cart before testing the lightbar.

I suppose it's probably true that the lightbar should be able to handle variations in voltage, it would just be nice to be able to regulate or normalize it somehow to keep it as close to spec as possible.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:18 AM   #10
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Quote:
I suppose it's probably true that the lightbar should be able to handle variations in voltage, it would just be nice to be able to regulate or normalize it somehow to keep it as close to spec as possible.
There is absolutely no need or reason to provide regulated voltage to the light bar. There's also no need or reason not to use it while charging. Vehicle electrical systems are charging only while the engine is running, so the light bar is designed to operate at a normal charging voltage of 14.2-14.7V. 12V is not the spec voltage for a vehicle electrical system, it's the nominal voltage. The actual operating voltage is 14.2-14.7V, and the Whelen light bar is designed for that. Operating at a lower voltage may actually be worse for it if the strobe inverter operates in a constant-power mode, because lower battery voltage would result in increased current draw.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
There is absolutely no need or reason to provide regulated voltage to the light bar. There's also no need or reason not to use it while charging. Vehicle electrical systems are charging only while the engine is running, so the light bar is designed to operate at a normal charging voltage of 14.2-14.7V. 12V is not the spec voltage for a vehicle electrical system, it's the nominal voltage. The actual operating voltage is 14.2-14.7V, and the Whelen light bar is designed for that. Operating at a lower voltage may actually be worse for it if the strobe inverter operates in a constant-power mode, because lower battery voltage would result in increased current draw.
Ok thanks. Looks like everything is just fine then.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:05 PM   #12
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

If the strobes are failing early, there may be other problems at play. The supply voltage probably isn't it, though. Are the strobe power supplies mounted somewhere exceptionally hot?

Last edited by mpoulton; 10-10-2011 at 12:34 AM.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:59 PM   #13

It's really hot during spring and summer out here. I've asked to get at least some kind of awning or covering for our "cart barn" but haven't had much luck.