Voltage Low Throughout House - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2010, 05:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Voltage Low Throughout House

Hi,

I moved into my house about 3 months ago. I work from home and have three battery backup / UPS systems installed for various purposes on different circuits in various places throughout the house.

I noticed when that SOMETIMES when the AC unit was running that the input voltage reported on my UPS units would read 101V to 103V, low enough to make all my UPSs go nuts. It lasts about 2 to 5 minutes and then voltage creeps back up to about 106V, enough to quiet the UPS. The AC is still running, FYI.

We had our AC replaced because of some issues (frozen coil / burned out compressor) so I assumed that the problem with the voltage would go away because I assumed they were related.

However, even after a brand new AC, the problem remains.

What's the deal? Any theories? I am not familiar with electrical troubleshooting so who is the best person to call out to take a look - the power company or an independent electrician?

Thanks in advance!

- Tim

Advertisement

timjfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

i would get a chaep digital voltmeter and measure at the outlet yourself to make sure the UPS isn't flakin out.

to drop your voltage THAT much you'd have to have a hell of a current draw... and a HUGE electric bill.

I'd try the meter then call the electric company to be sure their transformer on the pole is at correct capacity.

take a look at your power meter outside, when the AC kicks on does it spin much faster?

Advertisement

johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:18 PM   #3
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

If you have a volt meter available, measure the voltage at one of your 120 volt outlets with the AC off and then with it on. It would also be nice to know the voltage at a 240 volt outlet like a dryer plug if one is easily accessible both with the AC on and with it off.
I noticed your last comment, call the power company first, they may not charge you just to do some discovery work.

Last edited by a7ecorsair; 08-11-2010 at 07:21 PM.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy View Post
i would get a chaep digital voltmeter and measure at the outlet yourself to make sure the UPS isn't flakin out.

to drop your voltage THAT much you'd have to have a hell of a current draw... and a HUGE electric bill.

I'd try the meter then call the electric company to be sure their transformer on the pole is at correct capacity.

take a look at your power meter outside, when the AC kicks on does it spin much faster?
Thanks johnnyboy. It's all 3 UPSs I own that report the problem. So it's probably real.

I'll take a look outside and I'll get the electric company a call.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7ecorsair View Post
If you have a volt meter available, measure the voltage at one of your 120 volt outlets with the AC off and then with it on. It would also be nice to know the voltage at a 240 volt outlet like a dryer plug if one is easily accessible both with the AC on and with it off.
I noticed your last comment, call the power company first, they may not charge you just to do some discovery work.
Thanks a7ecorsair... I'll get them a call.

Tags
air conditioner , low voltage , voltage