Voltage Across A Switch - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

voltage across a switch

should i have votage between the 2 conections on a switch when off? wth a dig volt meter i m reading 50 volts when the switch is off. is this normal? thanks

Advertisement

joelwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

voltage across a switch

Yes, you are reading voltage thru the light bulb.

Advertisement

Regination is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regination For This Useful Post:
joelwhite (11-10-2012)
Old 11-11-2012, 10:24 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

voltage across a switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regination View Post
Yes, you are reading voltage thru the light bulb.
I disagree. When the switch is off, the circuit is open. There is no current through the light, the light is OFF, the full line voltage (presumably 115-120V) should appear across the switch terminals.

When the switch is on, the circuit is closed. There will be no voltage drop across the switch, the full line voltage is across the light, and the light in ON.
Dave632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,626

voltage across a switch

Both of you are right.....depends on how the bulb is wired.

If power is ran to the bulb and the switch is a switch leg, then yes, you will see the full voltage across the switch with the switch off.

But if power is ran to the switch....assuming the hot is being switched....one side of the bulb is tied to neut....the other side to the switch....with the switch off....you will read some voltage...though I find 50Vac to be a bit high unless the bulb is a CFL. The only way you could get that high of a reading is with no bulb, a CFL or LED or a really low wattage (high resistance) bulb.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

voltage across a switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Both of you are right.....depends on how the bulb is wired.

If power is ran to the bulb and the switch is a switch leg, then yes, you will see the full voltage across the switch with the switch off.

But if power is ran to the switch....assuming the hot is being switched....one side of the bulb is tied to neut....the other side to the switch....with the switch off....you will read some voltage...though I find 50Vac to be a bit high unless the bulb is a CFL. The only way you could get that high of a reading is with no bulb, a CFL or LED or a really low wattage (high resistance) bulb.
I still have to disagree. Whether the switch is inline or in a switch loop is irrelevant... electrically the two are the same.
Attached Thumbnails
voltage across a switch-switch-wiring.jpg  
Dave632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

voltage across a switch

With the switch closed (light on) you should read nothing at the switch, however with the switch open you have a difference in potential and should read line voltage
Rochsolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:08 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,502

voltage across a switch

You will read voltage either way.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:11 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

voltage across a switch

a voltmeter reads the potential difference so if the switch is closed (light on) you should read zero volts since your ur just touching the 2 leads together, when its open (light off) you should be getting the 120 volts.
wallajon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:19 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,048

voltage across a switch

For almost all household electrical situations, measuring voltage across the two switch terminals does not give "useful" information. Voltage should be measured from neutral to a desired test location, or from ground to a desired test location, or from either of the hot leads of a 240 volt circuit to a desired test location which could be the other hot lead.

When a voltmeter is used, a minute current flows through the meter to register a non-zero reading.

When you see a non-zero voltage reading across a switch that is flipped off, the voltmeter has completed a circuit and the minute current flows.

If the light bulb is removed, or for some kinds of fixtures where the bulb lights up by having an arc struck inside, you will measure zero volts across the switch when flipped off also. The resistance of the voltmeter is such that current will not jump across the electrodes in the bulb (strike the arc) so, although the voltmeter completes the portion of the circuit at the switch, the circuit is not complete through the bulb and no current whasoever flows.

A tiny neon bulb is connected directly into a circuit (it also has a resistor in series). This bulb has two electrodes across which an arc is struck, and no filament, so measuring across a switch that controls this bulb and is switched off will show zero voltage.

A neon sign has a transformer whose primary is connected to the supply line and whose secondary is connected to the neon tube, the latter with the two electrodes at the respective ends of the tube with an arc to be struck the entire length of the tube. The transformer primary will conduct electricity at all times when energized, even if the secondary circuit is not complete. (The primary conducts more current when the tube is lit). When measuring across a switch that controls the primary current and is flipped off, the voltmeter completes the primary circuit but not passing enough current to cause enough secondary voltage to light up the neon tube, and the meter will show a nonzero reading, probably at least a third of the supply voltage.

For an incandescent bulb the filament completes the circuit when the switch is flipped on or the voltmeter probes are placed across the switch that is flipped off. The ratio of the voltage across the meter to the voltage across the bulb is equal to the ratio of the resistance of the meter to the resistance of the bulb. Almost always the result is that nearly the full line voltage is measured across the switch.

Last edited by AllanJ; 11-11-2012 at 09:35 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AllanJ For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (11-11-2012), Rochsolid (11-12-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #10
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,626

voltage across a switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave632 View Post
I still have to disagree. Whether the switch is inline or in a switch loop is irrelevant... electrically the two are the same.
Electrically...yes....measurement wise...not......and you showed yours wired different than what I was describing.

In my house...all of my lights have the hot wired to the fixture...the switch leg is on the neutral side.......

I should have also stressed the importance of the type of bulb. With an incandescent....the resitance is so low that in an open ckt condition, there will be no voltage drop across the bulb. But, if using a CFL, I suspect that it will pretty much look like an open ckt....might be worth testing.

I wish the OP would respond back with the type of bulb he had.

Advertisement

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote