Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-18-2006, 07:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Volt coming into house

How much is the voltage coming into the meter from the pole and from the meter to the main load center, or Breaker box?

whitepa254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 09:12 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,114

Volt coming into house

Unless your house is very old the voltage will be 240

Old 02-18-2006, 09:17 PM   #3

Volt coming into house

is there a difference in the type or guage of wire running from the pole to the meter and the meter to the main load center for a 100 amp main breaker box and a 200 amp main breaker box?
Old 02-18-2006, 09:30 PM   #4
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,032

Volt coming into house

Absolutely.
You are responsible for all the wiring from the top on the house down to the breaker panel.
200 amp wire is of course larger.
The power company is responsible for the drop from the pole to the house.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:28 AM   #5
Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Volt coming into house

Having worked for a few utility co.s, Our responsibility always ended at the outgoing source of the meter. Your electrician was responsible for the hookup from there. If you have municipal water, their responsibility ends at the outgoing meter spud, not to include the connection. Here, goofy, you may have to make the sewer connection from beyond your setback. There are a lot of variables and they are all gooney.
Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 07:52 AM   #6

Volt coming into house

What gauge wire will I need for the connection to and from the meter I was to get it myself and upgrade from a 100amp to a 200 amp breaker box?
Old 02-19-2006, 08:46 AM   #7

Volt coming into house

Have you done any electrical work before? Not to sound rude but this is NOT a job for an inexperienced DIYer. Many, myself included, don't think this is a DIY project at all.
If you have experience doing this work and are determined to do it then so be it.

For 200 amps you need 2/0cu or 4/0al service entrance cable/conductors.

I would not attempt this without reading this whole web page:
http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/homew...eter/index.htm
Old 02-19-2006, 01:59 PM   #8

Volt coming into house

I rewired my hole house, and have helped an electrician rewire a few house's before doing my house but I have never installed the service wire to and from the meter or a meter itself before nor have I worked with anyone who has and don't intend on doing it. I just want to buy the wire, meter pan myself and anything else I will need and have an electrician do it for me. I found that you can save money by buying the stuff you need yourself instead of letting the contractor supply it for you. At least around here in va you can.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:45 PM   #9

Volt coming into house

I hope no offense was taken by my last post but I hope you see my concern.

Again, no offense, but I personally would not do a job where the customer bought all the material.
It's not that I make so much money on material markup but I like to know what I have and to be sure I have everything I need. Also, I am very particular about what material I buy. For instance I will NOT install Emerald brand recessed lights. I have in the past refused jobs where the customer insisted on using them. One small example but you get the idea.

Now this is just me. I'm sure others would have no problem doing this. To some work is work.
I must say, Virginia has a less than stellar reputation when it comes to the electrical field. Workers do not get paid nearly enough and companies cannot charge what they actually require to make a profit. From what I hear it is a nasty situation.

Good luck in what ever you do and I hope it works out.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:55 AM   #10

Volt coming into house

And don't take offense to this but most electricians can tell a good grade wire just by looking at it. Besides All I have to do is buy the type and brand the electrician recommends to me. your replies to my post was just to get a general idea as to what to expect.

Last edited by whitepa254; 02-20-2006 at 05:00 AM.