Victorian Bath Heating Problem - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2008, 01:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

victorian bath heating problem

Hello there,
We have a victorian house and turned the original kitchen into a very large bath. We have a temperature problem in the winter. Our house is so much like a sieve and we freeze while bathing. We have a huge garden tub in a 12 x 12 room. We use as much central heat as we can afford to get it warmed up for a bath, and we also use a kerosene heater. Ideally, we'd like an overhead heater and use shower curtains to confine most of the heat just over the tub. Does anyone know of one that is truly efficient. We don't need a fan or even an overhead light. Just HEAT. Brrrrrr........
Old houses. Ya gotta love um!
Cheers,
Steve

Advertisement

Iverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:23 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,008

What about installing some baseboard heaters. They use a good bit of power, but you could turn them off when they are not needed.

Advertisement

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 07:57 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 506

Kerosene heaters were popular around here (the U.S.) back in the 70's, but later banned because people didn't know how to use them<g>

If you install an overhead heater, I would put it on a GFCI circuit. I'm not sure if code requires it, but it makes sense to me.

The method I use to find what I'm looking for is Google.

KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 08:53 AM   #4
DIYer

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE2KB View Post
Kerosene heaters were popular around here (the U.S.) back in the 70's, but later banned because people didn't know how to use them<g>
Banned where? Modern portable kerosene heaters with tilt cutoffs are most certainly not banned in most of the US. I have one in my basement that I bought in 2004 or so.
Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:36 AM   #5
Whatamess

Rewards Points: 250

How high is the ceiling? Remember heat rises. You may want to drop it to 7.5 - 8 feet.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:43 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

How about installing underfloor radiant heating? Usually works very well in a bath area.

Vince
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 06:44 PM   #7

Smile

Thanks to everyone for the ideas. We have central gas heat which includes the bathroom and we also use a kerosene heater in there. My problem is the room is soooo big. It was the original kitchen for the turn of the century victorian. To use the central heat to get the bathroom warm is way too expensive and still isn't adequate. Leaving the kerosene heater on for many hours usually makes it a bit tolerable. What I was thinking is a way to heat from over the giant garden tub. Closing off the sides with curtains to encase the heat. Does anyone know of the warmest overhead heater? Brrrrrrrr in Tennessee.
Thanks again,
Jackie
Old houses, you gotta love em to live in em.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:47 PM   #8
DIY'er

I think this is the kind of product you are looking for. Make sure you get one rated for your wet enviroment.

http://www.infraredheaters.com/solaira3.htm

Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:12 PM   #9

Jamie,
That warms me by just looking at it. At this time it's too expensive, but you're right. I think it's just what I may need.
Thanks,
Jackie
Old 12-01-2008, 04:56 PM   #10
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iverson View Post
Jamie,
That warms me by just looking at it. At this time it's too expensive, but you're right. I think it's just what I may need.
Thanks,
Jackie
I have my forced air furnace setup pretty well, and don't get much in the way of cold spots or drafts, but I do turn down the heat at night to save money, and it is cold in the AM in the bathroom. I know the feeling that it would be nice to have an extra blast of heat in the bathroom in the morning. :-)

There are natural gas heaters that can be used in bathrooms as well, but most of them are wall mount units and I don't think most are infared, so they will take some time to warm up the bathroom. Where as the infared just starts warming you up right away.

Jamie

Jamie

Advertisement

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote