Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-08-2008, 09:34 AM   #1

Share |

Very high electric bill.

What should I replace or have looked at to possibly lower electric bill? House is all electric to start with and it has very old water heater 82 gal but works ok very old dish washer and dryer. Let me know what you think and any other tips for cutting the electric cost. Thanks

68MHJCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:27 AM   #2

Very high electric bill.

Electric heat, regular water heaters, and clothes dryers are hogs. You could change to gas, but your gas bill could offset any savings. You could lower the heat on the water heater or go with a demand type water heater. If you use lots of hot water lowering the water temp will not help. Use dryers for full loads only. Lower heating thermostats and wear a sweater. Get a programable thermostat. Change incandescent light bulbs to CFL's. Turn off lights when not needed. Use timers in bathrooms for fans if you have any teenagers around. Insulate, Insulate, Insulate. Caulk windows and doors. It goes on and on.
Contact your electric utility and ask for the brochure on saving energy. In my area electric is cheaper than gas.

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:08 AM   #3

Very high electric bill.

Thank you JV for your help and info. i have to get that bill down way too much.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:18 AM   #4

Very high electric bill.

Has the electric bill alwasy been this high or is this something new?

A leak in a hot water pipe will cause the water heater to run a lot more and really run up your bill.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:49 PM   #5

Very high electric bill.

What is the price of electricity and gas in your area. Around here it saves a lot of money to switch from electric anything to propane or oil. Electric costs $.17/kwh and propane is $2.70.

Getting a high efficiency (front-load) washer will save a lot of money because they use about 1/3 as much water, and they leave the clothes almost dry, so you save money on the dryer too.

I'd plan to switch out the dryer and water heater for new gas models as money allows, and get energy efficient dish and clothes washers. Watch for CFL bulbs on sale, and stock up. Those save a large amount of electricity and are cheap when on sale (should find them for a buck a piece).
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 02:13 PM   #6

Very high electric bill.

Make sure your fridge gaskets are okay, a fridge with broken gaskets can cost you around $60/month. If you have drafts, air seal your attic first by trying to find any wire penetrations and foaming them, foam the top walls. Due to what's called the stack effect, air sealing your attic will have the most impact at reducing drafts in your main living area. Followed by your basement (again due to stack effect), lastly air seal the main floors. Then work on insulating the attic with blown cellulose (really cheap and you can buy the bags & rent the machine from Home Depot). Just make sure you protect any recessed lights that ARE not IC rated, which means they need to have a 3" space around them.

If your walls don't have any insulation in them, that's another place that will likely pay for itself. Windows, are NOT a good place, air seal around their trim but usually bang for buck you pay thousands to replace them and the old double-pane windows are R2 and the newest Low-E Argon are just R3, you won't get a lot of savings.

If you can do it, you can think about a wood stove for around $4,000. They're a lot of work & you have to store your wood. I did that, I went through 550 gallons of oil for heating beforehand (@ 3.299 cost me $1,814/year to heat) after getting a wood stove it now costs me $187/year to heat, I just need to buy one cord a year the rest I burn from scraps, branches that have fallen, neighbors trees, etc.

I got the top of the line front loading Kenmore washer & dryer, and all I can say is the washer cleans so good I wash my clothes on tap cold water and they come out spotless. No more hot water for clothes. I also spin it at superfast speed so, my dryer hardly has anything left to dry.

Anyway, good luck!

Last edited by Piedmont; 02-08-2008 at 02:15 PM.
Piedmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 02:15 PM   #7

Very high electric bill.

$.17/kwh? *shiver* I'll take the $.09988 we're paying here thanks.

I just got a Kill-A-Watt meter this week that will allow me to plug items into it and accurately measure how much it's costing me to use that particular item over an hour/day/month etc. They have a cheaper one that just measures the kwh and you have to do the math.

http://tinyurl.com/2gmc5z

That doesn't really help you with the water heater/dryer/heat though, but it's just something to show others I guess.

I'm in the process of slowly changing over to CFL bulbs, but the one thing I hate about them is that they take a while to get to full brightness.
perpetual98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 04:19 PM   #8

Very high electric bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68MHJCs View Post
What should I replace or have looked at to possibly lower electric bill? House is all electric to start with and it has very old water heater 82 gal but works ok very old dish washer and dryer. Let me know what you think and any other tips for cutting the electric cost. Thanks
What was your electricity consumption for the last bill?
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 04:41 PM   #9

Very high electric bill.

One common problem is a partially clogged vent on your electric dryer. It causes much longer run times (and is dangerous). Ckeck to be sure you have no lint buildup in your dryer and in the vent all the way to the exterior.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 12:15 AM   #10

Very high electric bill.

Thank you all for your help and please keep it coming. Need all the help I can get tips, ideas, info all.Ok now to answer some questions Jerryh asked about consumption answer 4909kwh in 35 day period. Was our first bill. January was just as high and we were watching carefully wait we were doing. (we thought)This is a house we just moved into the washer is newer the dryer is old Solid State Kenmore has to be 20 years old. And the previous owners tell us the water heater is ...wait for it...40 years old. 82 gallon electric. Piedmont the fridge is brand new we just bought it. Perpetual i will buy one of those meters thanks for the info. Piedmont I know we have to buy new w/h dishwasher and dryer not due to being broke but sucking us dry with energy which order should i buy first then what? Nate I cant get gas too much money right now we just bought the home. I will get the light bulbs though. Allanj we just got here but family prior told us bill was alot lower than it is...Do we have more electronics then they did probably but almost twice the bill? We heard pull plugs on dryer etc.. when not in use helps.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:34 AM   #11
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Very high electric bill.

You might also try one of the new gas tankless water heaters. Sure gas costs a little more, but you will save in the long run. It only heats when the water is running, and you never run out of hot water. They make them in an electric version, but most require three 40 A (or greater) circuits!

InPhase277
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 02:17 AM   #12

Very high electric bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68MHJCs View Post
Thank you all for your help and please keep it coming. Need all the help I can get tips, ideas, info all.Ok now to answer some questions Jerryh asked about consumption answer 4909kwh in 35 day period. Was our first bill. January was just as high and we were watching carefully wait we were doing. (we thought)
4909 Kwh is 1000 watts on for 4909 hours.

How are you heating your house?
Also, what electric utility rate plan are you on? Some utilities have different rate schedules depending on whether you have electric water heating, electric heat, etc and discount the electric rate based on that.

Quote:
This is a house we just moved into the washer is newer the dryer is old Solid State Kenmore has to be 20 years old. And the previous owners tell us the water heater is ...wait for it...40 years old. 82 gallon electric.
High time for a new water heater. And I suggest one of those military locker room mister type shower heads - lose the shower massage.

Quote:
Piedmont the fridge is brand new we just bought it. Perpetual i will buy one of those meters thanks for the info. Piedmont I know we have to buy new w/h dishwasher and dryer not due to being broke but sucking us dry with energy which order should i buy first then what? Nate I cant get gas too much money right now we just bought the home. I will get the light bulbs though. Allanj we just got here but family prior told us bill was alot lower than it is...Do we have more electronics then they did probably but almost twice the bill? We heard pull plugs on dryer etc.. when not in use helps.
Turn your computers off.
Unplug your cable boxes.
Make sure any sump pumps are operating properly.
Explore the basement, attic, shed, anywhere something your're not aware of might be plugged in. Any "mystery switches?"
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 03:59 AM   #13
" Euro " electrician

Very high electric bill.

I am not sure where ya from but any chance you are in cold areas ??

If so some case you may find a heattape to keep the pipes from frezzing those thing can run anywhere from few min to 24/7 depending on how cold it is.

for waterheater 40 yearold tank ?? Jezz it is good time to replace it if you have natrual gas or LPG supply it will really payoff with smaller tank if your water demand is not very high. otherwise a very high effecety electric waterheater will do nice job and keep the tank standby loss really reduced to keep the water warm much longer before the heating elements cycle.

and other thing i am not sure but it do happend some place do have deicer as well [ for roof and sidewalk {dont get me wrong but i did see it few places} ]

dehumidfier ?? in winter time normally they are turned off becaue the heat from furnce will useally dry up the humidity.

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 06:43 AM   #14
DJFVT

Very high electric bill.

You should put a timer on the hot water heater. It costs you money when it comes on at 3 AM and nobody's using hot water. A timer mounted right at the hot water heater works very well in saving money. Also try draining the hot water heater by turning off the power and hooking a hose to the water drain at the bottom of the tank. There might be some gunk in the bottom of the heater that is making the heater work harder.

Call your power company about CFL lamps because they may give them to you free or at a minimal charge. Some states also have weatherization programs which have contracts with companies to do weatherization /energy conservation projects for homeowners. And the biggie is that any energy efficiency work that you do is tax deductible.

Carry On!
John2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 09:07 AM   #15

Very high electric bill.

Yes cold area. There are thermostats in every hall and room if not in use its off. But will this in fact make the other heaters that are turned up work harder? And close door in every room that heaters are not on?