Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2011, 10:09 PM   #1

Share |

Very Easy Question

Hello! I'm running some new lighting in a room of mine dowstairs (finished basement). I'm hiring an electrician to come wire the outlets/lights/etc, but I'm doing all the wire running myself (to save me some money).

So, I'll be running this wire in between the floor joist (between the subfloor and basement drywall ceiling). I can see many 15 amp (and one 20 amp) electrical wires running across the space I'm feeding the wire through. The wire I'm wanting to run is going to cross them perpendicular (90 degrees). Is this a hazard in any way? Or is it ok for electrical wires to cross each other like that?

Thank you.

P.S. I probably should've asked this question before I cut holes and ran the wire

EyeAge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:25 PM   #2

Very Easy Question

No problem

jmans8666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:53 PM   #3

Very Easy Question

Ok, similar question. Any hazard in running two electrical wires parallel?
Old 07-18-2011, 11:55 PM   #4

Very Easy Question

Nope. Just never run speaker cable on parallel to power cable or you will pick up nasty humm
Monkey-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:34 AM   #5

Very Easy Question

Thanks!

Ok.. One more question.

- I am going to place a projector at the back of the room. I need to run power to said projector. I know you cannot run extension cord through the ceiling, and I also know that you cannot use NM-B as an extension cord. I would just run an outlet and stick it in the ceiling near the projector (which I'm going to have to do in some fashion), but I want to be able to connect the projector to the power conditioner that my other AV components will be wired to.

Will the easiest solution be to run a female outlet to the projector (and plug projector into that), then run that cord (NM-b) to a box with a male end on it, and use an extension cord to connect from the male box to the power conditioner?
Old 07-19-2011, 02:40 AM   #6

Very Easy Question

I'm not quite sure what you're describing for the conditioner setup.

What I would do is install an outlet near both the line conditioner and projector, run romex between them, plug the projector in normally, and connect the output of the coniditioner to the outlet using a male-male cord (or two male/females with coupler)

But is this really necessary? I'm not aware of any benefit to powering other than high end stereo equipment on a line conditioner. And even then, running it back thru the wall and ceiling may negate and benefit it would give.
Thadius856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:52 AM   #7
Licensed electrician

Very Easy Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadius856 View Post
I'm not quite sure what you're describing for the conditioner setup.

What I would do is install an outlet near both the line conditioner and projector, run romex between them, plug the projector in normally, and connect the output of the coniditioner to the outlet using a male-male cord (or two male/females with coupler)

But is this really necessary? I'm not aware of any benefit to powering other than high end stereo equipment on a line conditioner. And even then, running it back thru the wall and ceiling may negate and benefit it would give.
A male-male cord is called a suicide cord for a reason. Do not use one of these.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:34 PM   #8
Learning by Doing

Very Easy Question

Your projector doesn't need the conditioner. If you are using it as a master on/off you can buy power strips for your projector that will turn on/off with your other stuff. This is what we do with our flat screen. I'll ask the Hubbie how it works.

PS do not make or use a male to male cord see post above re:suicide.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:56 PM   #9

Very Easy Question

Double male cord. Doesn't sound like anything I'm about to do. The power conditioner is also a surge protector. That's the main reason I want to do this. I think I have an idea for it. Could run the nm-b to a box and just wire a flexible cord to it inside the box. That would work right?
Old 07-19-2011, 04:36 PM   #10
Licensed electrician

Very Easy Question

To avoid the suicide cord you would use a inlet near the conditioner and a regular receptacle at the projector.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:46 PM   #11

Very Easy Question

Can you splice NM-B and flexible 14-2 wire inside of a junction box?

Edit - Yes you can I have found out, but the link in the post below is a cheaper option with the same protection. Who knew the Home Depot could be so helpful

Last edited by EyeAge; 07-19-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:45 PM   #12

Very Easy Question

Problem solved!

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
Old 07-20-2011, 12:00 AM   #13

Very Easy Question

Just read up on "suicide cords". Yeah, ok, may bad. Posted that about 1am.

But glad to know that I wasn't insane in thinking the line conditioner wouldn't do anything for the projector's output quality.

Saw that very outlet at the Big Box today. Looks like it might need a slightly deeper box to be comfortable. If it's going on the ceiling, I doubt depth is an issue, but keep it in mind.

Thadius856 is offline   Reply With Quote