Vent Hood Electrical Connection Question - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2011, 01:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

vent hood electrical connection question

i am installing a new wall mounted vent hood over the range/oven in the kitchen i am remodeling. it's one of the more affordable stainless units that my wife found shopping online. the upper portion includes a 3 sided stainless trim cover piece that conceals the rough duct that goes up through the ceiling, attic, and eventually out through the roof vent cap.

my question is this: the unit does not include any sort of electrical connection junction box. only a cord approx 3' long with ends ready to be connected with wire nuts. should i (a) run the cord through the ceiling and connect to the romex run i left for the hood with a junction box in the attic? the cord would easily reach. or can i (b) run the romex down through the ceiling and make the connection inside the enclosed space created by the duct cover and consider that my junction box? it would be a tight fit, but i suppose a possible option (c) would be to install a juntion box that has the open end concealed behind the duct cover. or is there a preferable option (d) ???

thanks for any help. i just want to be sure to do this right...

Advertisement

cbendock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 02:41 AM   #2
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Do you know what model number this one is ?? I know majtory of hood vent unit are typically hardwired but cord that is pretty rare item unless part of factory item or it was used on Demo { display }

Merci.
Marc

Advertisement

Old 02-12-2011, 01:50 PM   #3

it's a windster hood. i think it's model # rh-w36ss shown on this webpage:

http://www.windsterhood.com/products_rhw.html

i will have to check my manual at the work site to confirm and post back later in case it's an older model number/version if this hood.

i don't think it was a demo model, there were no blemishes on the stainless and a vinyl film was still covering most surfaces.

merci for the assistance!
Old 02-12-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,212

The area where the cord enters is the junction box. I would open the box, remove the cord and run the N into the j-box and make the connections. Under no circumstances would I use the cord through a wall or ceiling.
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:33 PM   #5

brric, thanks for the input. i thought about the same possibility, but i'm pretty sure the box that the wire comes out of is pressed or riveted together and not easily disasembled by removing screws or some other simple method. but i will check again more closely tomorrow to verify.