Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-04-2007, 11:19 PM   #1
zel

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via AIM to zel

Vaulted Ceiling, faux wood beam, ceiling fan?

We have a 10' high vaulted ceiling. Originally, the builder put the ceiling box for the fan roughly 1' off to the side of the peak. We would like to put a faux wood beam down the center of the ceiling peak and have the fan mounted in the center of the wood beam. The faux wood beam is made of polyurethane foam and presumably not safe to mount the electrical box to, to hold the fan. I am pretty confident that I can build a box of 2x4's above the drywall that will safely hold the box/fan, but I'm wondering if there is an easier way, or a specific kit for installing the fin like this? Anyone done an install like this before? Thanks!

zel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

How thick is the faux beam? Can you get to the peak from above in the attic? You will need to have some wood in the peak to securely fasten a fan rated box onto. I would probably screw a 2x4 directly to the peak of the ceiling and then carve out the faux beam to cover it. The 2x4 would have to be 1 1/2" above the bottom of the faux beam which would then make the fan box flush to the bottom. I don't know of any "kits" for this kind of installation.

wiremeup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 11:10 PM   #3
retired

Rewards Points: 75

This doesn't answer your question, but do you already have the beam, or know exactly where you are going to buy it? I ask because two years ago I looked around for such a beam and came to the conclusion they don't exist any more. I couldn't find one anywhere! I ended up making a beam from MDF.

I take it you have access above the ceiling to build the frame. Is the wire(s) long enough to move to the new spot? What do you plan to do with the existing box?
dmaceld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 11:31 PM   #4
zel

Thank you guys for the replies.

I will know tomorrow which company/beam I will be dealing with. Once I know that, I will be able to plan ahead and do as wiremeup suggested and mount a small 2x4 in the peak, and build it down if necessary so that the box will be at the proper height. The beams come in a "U" shape, but I might need to hollow out the sides a bit to fit the box correctly. I think after reading wiremeup's reply, and staring at the ceiling, I know what needs to be done. I do have access above the, and the wires are plenty long enough to make the changes.

dmaceld, there are a few companies that sell these beams, the most popular on google is fauxwoodbeams.com They seem to have a good selection and I remember folks here speaking highly of them. The company I am most likely going to order from is outwater.com They arent too far from me and have sent me a sample that seems pretty realistic at the 10' height. Also, the lead time from FWB.com was 3-6 weeks and I just cant wait that long to get this room finished. Its been a disaster since October when I tore it all apart. Now, our new furniture is sitting in the dining room, and all thats left to do is lighting, painting, and flooring.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:47 AM   #5
zel

I am going to post this in case anyone else is doing something similar.
I went into the attic to see what was above the peak. At the very center, there is nothing along the peak, except for where the trusses from the roof above were, which was every 2'. The builder used the existing roof trusses, and added some framing to hold the ceiling up. I first marked the very center of the room and drilled a 3/4" hole up through the drywall to run the wires through and to let me see the center when I went into the attic. I added a 2X4 with 90 degree deck brackets in between the trusses, sitting level on top of the drywall peak above the hole I drilled, after putting the wires through the hole.

I then drew out on paper a diagram of how the beam will sit against the ceiling and took a bunch of measurements. I cut 3/4" plywood in 1' by 6 1/8" sections. I glued/screwed 2 together and drilled a 3/4" hole for the wires. I marked the board down the center, lined it up with the peak and attached it to the center of the ceiling using 4 3" drywall screws, through the drywall and into the 2x4 I installed in the attic. The 6 1/8" is the measurement of inside the beam, so the beam fits over the plywood. Now, I measured down to just short of flush with the beam surface and ripped a 7" 2x4 so the electric box sat down at the right height. I cut notches out of the ends and predrilled them for 2 screws. I installed the box, making sure it was centered and level. The beams came in 10' lengths and the seam is right in the middle. I filled the seam with small pieces of the stained edges from cutoffs and caulked them in place with brown caulk. I'll post a pic of the finished beam over the weekend. I got the res of the beam and fan up there last night. Looks great and works great too!
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2007, 09:07 AM   #6
Licensed Pro

Rewards Points: 1,000

Just hope that plastic box is one that is approved for use with a ceiling fan....
HouseHelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:10 AM   #7
zel

It was a "ceiling fan box" according to the label and the mounting screws that came with the fan go through the box and into the wood above it.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:16 AM   #8
Licensed Pro

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by zel View Post
It was a "ceiling fan box" according to the label and the mounting screws that came with the fan go through the box and into the wood above it.
Then you done good!
HouseHelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 03:00 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaceld View Post
This doesn't answer your question, but do you already have the beam, or know exactly where you are going to buy it? I ask because two years ago I looked around for such a beam and came to the conclusion they don't exist any more. I couldn't find one anywhere! I ended up making a beam from MDF.

Outwater in NJ sells them......and a whole lot of other stuff.

http://www.outwater.com
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:30 PM   #10
zel

Thats where I got them from. I called Friday, and had them Tuesday! Cant beat that!