Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2011, 09:40 PM   #1
GBunny

Share |

Vapour barrier over potlights?

I'm having my basement insulated. The contractor has used clear vapour barrier. I thought vapour barrier was black!?

The basement ceiling is being insulated too. The contractor has put vapour barrier across the ceiling, even over the potlights. He has cut a circle out for the bulb to be put in. Won't the heat from the pot light metal box melt the plastic? What if something spills on the floor above, won't the liquid be trapped on top of the plastic and eventually cause mold?

GBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:00 PM   #2
GBunny

I'm having my basement insulated. Is there a special procedure to use when putting insulation near outlets?

GBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBunny
I'm having my basement insulated. The contractor has used clear vapour barrier. I thought vapour barrier was black!?

The basement ceiling is being insulated too. The contractor has put vapour barrier across the ceiling, even over the potlights. He has cut a circle out for the bulb to be put in. Won't the heat from the pot light metal box melt the plastic? What if something spills on the floor above, won't the liquid be trapped on top of the plastic and eventually cause mold?
I would not put a vapor barrier on the basement ceiling if the basement is a conditioned space. If you want to put insulation in the ceiling to reduce noise from above use unfaced insulation. In terms of the pot lights make sure they are IC rated before you put insulation near the cans. You can use an insulation from Roxul called safe n sound or ComfortBatt that is not combustible and also won't mold/mildew and mice don't like it either. Try the insulation forum as you may find some good advice there.
clydesdale is offline   Reply With Quote