Vapor Barrier And Recessed Lighting - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2012, 05:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Vapor Barrier and Recessed Lighting

Storey and a half house. Renovating kitchen. Removed old insulation in ceiling along with GypRock. Installed recessed potlights (IC type) inside large plastic shells (vapor barrier. I am going to reinstall new insulation and cover the hot side with vapor barrier before installing drywall. My question is: With the recessed lighting vapor barriers, do I leave them empty or do they get illed with insulation as well? These units have about 1/4" clearance to the floor.

Advertisement

bwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,116

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilliams View Post
Storey and a half house. Renovating kitchen. Removed old insulation in ceiling along with GypRock. Installed recessed potlights (IC type) inside large plastic shells (vapor barrier. I am going to reinstall new insulation and cover the hot side with vapor barrier before installing drywall. My question is: With the recessed lighting vapor barriers, do I leave them empty or do they get illed with insulation as well? These units have about 1/4" clearance to the floor.
If you used IC type cans, You can do as you wish, I've personally never seen these vapor barriers you speak of, got a picture?

Advertisement

stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

i think he's put prefab boxes on them, the heat from a potlight would melt vapour barrier touching it so fast it's not funny. The whole point of boxing out your pot lights is so the insulation doesn't touch them.

and yes a picture really would be worth 1000 words here
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:08 PM   #4
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew79 View Post
The whole point of boxing out your pot lights is so the insulation doesn't touch them.

and yes a picture really would be worth 1000 words here
He did use IC cans, so I'm thinking he wants to fill every void, which is acceptable with an IC style can, most of the cans I buy are air sealed already, so kinda of lost as to what he's trying to accomplish.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #5
Master Electrician

i think i found out what he's using, you shouldn't fill in the interior of the vapour barrier, not that it will matter as you have ic rated cans but what they do is keep the moisture on the "hot" side(potlight) and stop condensation from affecting your insulation. It's kind of a double edged sword, really the only time you ever need them is if you don't have enough insulation in your attic and it gets really cold up there. Moisture forms from the heat of the light on the insulation and can cause it to mold.

Don't shoot the messenger on this one. I just read that on google.
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #6
E2 Electrician

Quote:
i think i found out what he's using, you shouldn't fill in the interior of the vapour barrier, not that it will matter as you have ic rated cans but what they do is keep the moisture on the "hot" side(potlight) and stop condensation from affecting your insulation. It's kind of a double edged sword, really the only time you ever need them is if you don't have enough insulation in your attic and it gets really cold up there. Moisture forms from the heat of the light on the insulation and can cause it to mold.

Don't shoot the messenger on this one. I just read that on google.
That was a pretty good find! Is Canada allowed to use recess cans? I thought you were not allowed to make to many penetrations in the envelope of the structure.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
Master Electrician

i've never heard of that, we put potlights in all the time, actually potlights, skylights, you name it. it's only if it affects the structural integrity of the building. They'll make you get an engineer to tell you what you need to do to compensate for the addition load and lack of support.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:27 PM   #8
E2 Electrician

Quote:
i've never heard of that, we put potlights in all the time, actually potlights, skylights, you name it. it's only if it affects the structural integrity of the building. They'll make you get an engineer to tell you what you need to do to compensate for the addition load and lack of support.
Thanks for the input...
Old 07-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

For more information on this vapor barrier, check out this Youtube video and let me know what you think. I question the insulation inside the vapor barrier as I'm thinking it is only going to act like a sponge.

Advertisement

bwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote