Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2009, 02:45 PM   #1

Share |

vanity light wiring

I took down our vanity light to redo our bathroom,
trying to reinstall it and it has 2 back wires, 2 white wires, and a ground.
Coming out of the wall I have 1b,1w,1g.
Now there are 6 lights on the light bar.
When I hook all the Black together, all the white together, and hook the ground,
I flip the switch to on, and 2 of the light barely come on for 2 secs and the breaker trips.
I cannot find the book for the light since I bought around 4 yrs ago.
Any help would be appreciated

hsw55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:51 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

vanity light wiring

The light fixture has 2 whites, 2 blacks and 2 grounds, and one each from the wall, then you wired it the only way it can be wired.
Check to make sure that you did not pich any wires when you installed the fixture.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:09 PM   #3

vanity light wiring

there are no pinched wires. Before the switch only powered the light and an outlet. We had a electrician install a 3 switch plate to operate the light, another switch to power a fan, and another switch to operate a light in the fan. The electrician did have a bulb hooked up to the wires and the switch turned the bulb on and off, but with the vanity lights it still just trips the breaker.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:13 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

vanity light wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw55 View Post
there are no pinched wires. Before the switch only powered the light and an outlet. We had a electrician install a 3 switch plate to operate the light, another switch to power a fan, and another switch to operate a light in the fan. The electrician did have a bulb hooked up to the wires and the switch turned the bulb on and off, but with the vanity lights it still just trips the breaker.
Did you see the bulb light?
I think he may have wire something wrong, and you did not know until you installed the fixture.
If that is the only wires in the box, and on the fixture, that is the only way it can be wired.
You may need to call him back out.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:43 PM   #5

vanity light wiring

Your color to color wiring is correct.

Take the fixture down and make the wires safe. Turn it on and see what happens.

Next, hook up the grounds and only one pair of black and white fixture wires and see what happens.

Next hook up the other black and white pair. Try to narrow down the problem .
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:47 PM   #6

vanity light wiring

When the electrician had the bulb wired up it was lit. He actually had it on while he was installing the fan/light combo.

I tried the wiring idea in the prev post, and it just lit the one bulb a little and tripped the breaker. If I switched to the other wires it lit the OTHER bulb a little and tripped the breaker. If I swapped just one wire, nothing would light and the breaker would trip. I did notice that when I had no fixture hooked up to it at all (caps on the end of the individual wires), and the switch got turned on by accident, it tripped the breaker. So could the problem be in the switch? thanks for the replies so far, it helps knowing it wasn't my fault.