Vanity Light Spacing On 72" Double Sink Counter - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2010, 09:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Vanity Light Spacing on 72" Double Sink Counter

Thanks in advance for the help!

I am installing a 72" double sink vanity (that I have not purchased yet) and changing from a single light bar to double lights. I want to make sure that I center the new lights over each sink. Is there a known spacing I should place these at so they will line up with a standard double sink 72" vanity top?

Advertisement

goldenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:14 PM   #2
Electrician

Rewards Points: 534

Buy the sink and measure it or maybe you can get some type of drawing from the manufacture with the dimensions on it. No need to guess on it, it will be alot of work and frustrations if you put it in and then have to move it over a few inches.

Advertisement

darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren View Post
Buy the sink and measure it or maybe you can get some type of drawing from the manufacture with the dimensions on it. No need to guess on it, it will be alot of work and frustrations if you put it in and then have to move it over a few inches.
Yea, I understand this is a possibility. Here is what I don't get....The order of new home building usually has electrical done (at least hard wiring) before drywall and cabinet installation. This being said, there must be a standard width for lights above a 72" counter? Not sure....this is just my thought process. I am currently at the drywall stage (while also wiring the above sink lighting) and was hoping to not buy the cabinet until further into the process. But if this is the only way....
Old 02-22-2010, 11:15 PM   #4

So I got to thinking about this more and tell me if this makes sense. If it is a 72" cabinet span, that most likely means a 30" cabinet on each side with a 12" cabinet in the middle. Being that the 30" cabinets are the ones that contain the sink, it would be centered on 15". So....15" from each side of the drywalled walls would place each light centered over its respected sink.

Unless....it is two 36" cabinets that makes the 72". Then it would be 18" off the drywalled walls. So, I guess I have to figure out my cabinets first

Last edited by goldenboy; 02-22-2010 at 11:22 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:04 AM   #5
Licensed Pro

Rewards Points: 1,000

What I do is get a basic idea of where the lights need to be based on the rough-in plumbing and/or the construction drawings. That puts me in the correct stud bay. I then run the wires from the switch to that location and at the approximate height, leaving plenty of extra. Then I take a picture, loosely coil the wires, and have the space closed up with drywall. Once the sinks are in, I can then get an exact centered location (and proper height) for the lights, cut the drywall for a remodel box, and install the lights.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseHelper View Post
What I do is get a basic idea of where the lights need to be based on the rough-in plumbing and/or the construction drawings. That puts me in the correct stud bay. I then run the wires from the switch to that location and at the approximate height, leaving plenty of extra. Then I take a picture, loosely coil the wires, and have the space closed up with drywall. Once the sinks are in, I can then get an exact centered location (and proper height) for the lights, cut the drywall for a remodel box, and install the lights.
I like it...thanks!
Old 02-23-2010, 05:15 PM   #7
Electrician

Rewards Points: 534

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseHelper View Post

That's comeing from someone who has done this a few times, great idea i never would have thought of that.

Advertisement

darren is offline   Reply With Quote