Validating Wiring For New Bathroom Fans - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-07-2012, 03:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Validating Wiring For New Bathroom Fans

Iím installing 2 new fans, one a replacement, the other new. Iíd like to validate my wiring plan for the fans. Let me see if I can do this without pictures.

Bathroom 1 (replacing existing fan):

2 gang box with 2 on/off switches, 1 for a fan,1 for a light. 5 14-2 cables come into the box. The 5 whites are all tied off; ditto the 5 grounds including a copper wire from the top left screw from each switch.

The black wire from 2 of the 14-2 cables goes to the lower right screw on each switch. A small piece of black wire goes from the top right screw on each switch and connects with the remaining black wires from the 3 other 14-2 cables.

Wiring this fan is easy, just disconnect the old fan and wire in the new fan.

Even changing out the on/off switch for the fan to a multi-timer is easy. Just connect the black from the 14-2 for the fan to the black coming out of the multi-timer, and connect the red coming out of the timer to 1) the small black wire from the top right of the other switch and 2) the 3 remaining blacks from the 14-2 cables. Is this correct?

Bathroom 2 (new fan):

1 gang box with an on/off switch for a light. 3 14-2 cables come into the box. Again, all the whites are tied off; ditto the grounds and a copper wire from the top left of the switch. Then it gets funky.

The black from the 14-2 cable for the light is attached to the bottom right screw. The black from another 14-2 cable is pushed in the back of the switch right behind the bottom right screw. And a small section of black wire is then tied off with the black from the remaining 14-2 cable.

Iíve already expanded the opening for a 2 gang box, pried off the old 1 gang box (I got lucky; it was held in with 2 nails that were parallel to the floor and pulled out easily), and ran a new 14-2 cable from the attic down through the wall and out the expanded wall opening.

Now following KIS, I would like to wire this similar to how it is wired for Bathroom 1. Specifically, tie all 4 whites together; ditto the 4 grounds and a copper wire from the top left screw of each switch.

Then follow how the blacks were done for Bathroom 1. That is connect the black wire from 2 of the 14-2 cables to the bottom right screw of each switch, and connect a small piece of black wire from the top right screw of each switch with the black wires from the remaining 2 14-2 cables. Is this correct?

Thanks!

Advertisement

jdjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #2

Any feedback?

Bathroom 1 fan is wired and working. A simple switch was sufficient.

Bathroom 2 fan (all new) is changing the existing wiring. Not knowing why it was wired as described is why I asked the question in this forum.

thanks

Advertisement

Old 07-10-2012, 05:58 PM   #3
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjd View Post
Iím installing 2 new fans, one a replacement, the other new. Iíd like to validate my wiring plan for the fans. Let me see if I can do this without pictures.

Bathroom 1 (replacing existing fan):

2 gang box with 2 on/off switches, 1 for a fan,1 for a light. 5 14-2 cables come into the box. The 5 whites are all tied off; ditto the 5 grounds including a copper wire from the top left screw from each switch.

The black wire from 2 of the 14-2 cables goes to the lower right screw on each switch. A small piece of black wire goes from the top right screw on each switch and connects with the remaining black wires from the 3 other 14-2 cables.

Wiring this fan is easy, just disconnect the old fan and wire in the new fan.

Even changing out the on/off switch for the fan to a multi-timer is easy. Just connect the black from the 14-2 for the fan to the black coming out of the multi-timer, and connect the red coming out of the timer to 1) the small black wire from the top right of the other switch and 2) the 3 remaining blacks from the 14-2 cables. Is this correct?

Bathroom 2 (new fan):

1 gang box with an on/off switch for a light. 3 14-2 cables come into the box. Again, all the whites are tied off; ditto the grounds and a copper wire from the top left of the switch. Then it gets funky.

The black from the 14-2 cable for the light is attached to the bottom right screw. The black from another 14-2 cable is pushed in the back of the switch right behind the bottom right screw. And a small section of black wire is then tied off with the black from the remaining 14-2 cable.

Iíve already expanded the opening for a 2 gang box, pried off the old 1 gang box (I got lucky; it was held in with 2 nails that were parallel to the floor and pulled out easily), and ran a new 14-2 cable from the attic down through the wall and out the expanded wall opening.

Now following KIS, I would like to wire this similar to how it is wired for Bathroom 1. Specifically, tie all 4 whites together; ditto the 4 grounds and a copper wire from the top left screw of each switch.

Then follow how the blacks were done for Bathroom 1. That is connect the black wire from 2 of the 14-2 cables to the bottom right screw of each switch, and connect a small piece of black wire from the top right screw of each switch with the black wires from the remaining 2 14-2 cables. Is this correct?

Thanks!
the small black wire tied off comes from the other screw on the switch? the way you explain it the switch is controlling two things, such as a light and a fan. It would make more sense if the black from the lights was on it's own from the switch and two wires were connected on the line side of the switch. If this were the case then wiring it the way were going to would make perfect sense. You want your whites tied together and your grounds tied together, your black to your light would go on one switch and your black from your fan on the other, pigtails from the incoming and outgoing hot would power the switches.
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:39 PM   #4

Hopefully you will be able to see the picture i drew.

Quote:
You want your whites tied together and your grounds tied together, your black to your light would go on one switch and your black from your fan on the other, pigtails from the incoming and outgoing hot would power the switches.
Thanks - As I expected for the Whites and Grounds. And I think what you said for the Blacks is the same as what I tried to say, that is:

Quote:
connect the black wire from 2 of the 14-2 cables to the bottom right screw of each switch, and connect a small piece of black wire from the top right screw of each switch with the black wires from the remaining 2 14-2 cables.
Correct?

What I realized I did not know, but need to know is which of the original 3 14-2 cables connects to the light switch given the funky way the switch is currently wired.

There must be an easy way to so this, but how?? This is solved - did a google search and found out about a continuity tester.

So once I find out which of the 3 14-2 wires coming into the switch works the fan, is my approach then ok? I think it is.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Validating Wiring For New Bathroom Fans-master-bath-fan-wiring-small.jpg  

Last edited by jdjd; 07-23-2012 at 04:48 PM.