DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Using Weight Scale as a switch (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/using-weight-scale-switch-158507/)

blackbrawler 09-30-2012 08:02 PM

Using Weight Scale as a switch
 
So basically I'm looking for a weight activated switch
i was wondering if it is possible to use a digital (or normal) scale to calculate the weight and a certain weight activate the switch.
I dont mind buying one but would prefer building one if possible.If this possible how would i go about doing it?


resources that will point me in the right direction are appreciated as well.


Edit: More Details.

I'm trying to build an automatic blender. At first I was using pump switches but what i found is that when the motor turns on the disruption of the water messes with the switch (the container is to small). So the best idea seems to be that I should make it weight activated.

So far what I've done is taking out the motor and removed all the different mode buttons. I built a mixing shaft and attached it to the motor (which has problems of its own). Changing containers is an option but I weight activated switch would give me a lot more flexibilty and allow for my container to be smaller.

In terms of price I'm not willing to pay industrial prices I really just want to build my own.

Hopefully this makes more sense.

joecaption 09-30-2012 08:13 PM

If you explain exactly what it is your really trying to do there may be something already out there that does this.

blackbrawler 09-30-2012 08:22 PM

I want my motor to activate when i pour a couple of gallons of water in it (or anything for that matter_.

I know that a float switch is an option but they are too big for the container.
I'm thinking about a float valve maybe but the best option for me is a weight activated switch.

beenthere 09-30-2012 08:58 PM

Moved to Electrical forum.

Msradell 09-30-2012 08:59 PM

Would a photocell looking through the container work for your applications? It's certainly possible to use the scale like you're suggesting but it will be relatively expensive to set up. Another option if you have room outside of the container would be just to use a balance scale that actuated a switch when the balance shifted sides!

blackbrawler 09-30-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Msradell (Post 1020775)
Would a photocell looking through the container work for your applications? It's certainly possible to use the scale like you're suggesting but it will be relatively expensive to set up. Another option if you have room outside of the container would be just to use a balance scale that actuated a switch when the balance shifted sides!

I don't think a photocell would work. Why would it be expensive?

I think having a balance scale that actuated when the scale is shifted is a good idea, but what would i do about the force of the liquid when it falls in the container?

Msradell 09-30-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbrawler (Post 1020780)
I don't think a photocell would work. Why would it be expensive?

I think having a balance scale that actuated when the scale is shifted is a good idea, but what would i do about the force of the liquid when it falls in the container?

Electronic scales in general are relatively expensive especially if they have an adjustable set point and outputs. As far as the balance scale goes it would be dependent on how accurate you want to be in how fast the water would be entering.

DannyT 09-30-2012 09:55 PM

what kind of motor are you pouring water into? it need more explanation as to what you are trying to do.

blackbrawler 09-30-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Msradell (Post 1020799)
Electronic scales in general are relatively expensive especially if they have an adjustable set point and outputs. As far as the balance scale goes it would be dependent on how accurate you want to be in how fast the water would be entering.

Weight scales go for under $20? Do you mean an already made weight activated switch is expensive or you mean making one is expensive, or both?


I guess i dont need it to be that accurate i just need to make sure it goes off when there is a reasonable amount of liquid.

Msradell 09-30-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbrawler (Post 1020811)
Weight scales go for under $20? Do you mean an already made weight activated switch is expensive or you mean making one is expensive, or both?

Yes, a weight activated switch will be relatively expensive because they are intended for industrial use.

Quote:

I guess i dont need it to be that accurate i just need to make sure it goes off when there is a reasonable amount of liquid.
In that case in mechanical scale would probably work.

blackbrawler 09-30-2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Msradell (Post 1020840)
Yes, a weight activated switch will be relatively expensive because they are intended for industrial use.

then i guess i'll just use the mechanical one but, I just cant help but shake the feeling it should be able to....


wait... a switch can be activated by a custom voltage (or currency) right?

Missouri Bound 09-30-2012 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbrawler (Post 1020845)
then i guess i'll just use the mechanical one but, I just cant help but shake the feeling it should be able to....


wait... a switch can be activated by a custom voltage (or currency) right?

Perhaps if your question was more defining and your answers less cryptic we could actually help you. :yes:

blackbrawler 09-30-2012 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missouri Bound (Post 1020850)
Perhaps if your question was more defining and your answers less cryptic we could actually help you. :yes:

Man i get that a lot. I dont understand how it's cryptic though.

Missouri Bound 09-30-2012 11:15 PM

:laughing::laughing: Brother, it's up to you to figure that out.

joed 10-01-2012 08:58 AM

Simple lever with a switch under it. Use a spring to hold the lever up. As the weight is applied the lever goes down. Use some sort of screw and washer to compress the spring as an adjustment. Think of the switch pictured with a longer arm on it and spring to adjust the weight.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:59 PM.