Using Multiple Ground Screws - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2014, 11:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Using multiple ground screws

So, I've been searching and searching for an answer to this one, but haven't found anything definite (i.e. backed up by code) yet.

I've seen it done before where, in a metal box, instead of pigtailing all the grounds together and then attaching to a ground screw, someone pigtailed half of them together and attached them to a ground screw, then pigtailed the other half and attached them to another ground screw. (It was a 2-gang box made from 2 gangable metal boxes, so there were multiple holes that were designed to accept ground screws.)

I think this seems easier if there are a bunch of cables entering the box; for example, instead of trying to tie 8 ground wires together and connect to a ground screw, just tie 4 together and attach to one ground screw, then tie the 4 others together and attach to another ground screw.

Obviously there's still continuity between the grounds, but is there anything in the code that would prohibit this?

Advertisement

jhartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:15 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

No Code ref, but take all the grounds, twist them together just a few turns, and put on a crimp sleeve and crimp it down. You will then take the longest remaining wire and, using that as a pigtail, place that around the ground screw, and cut the rest off.

The other way is just plain hack!

Advertisement

Old 02-03-2014, 06:41 AM   #3
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,392

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartz View Post
So, I've been searching and searching for an answer to this one, but haven't found anything definite (i.e. backed up by code) yet.

I've seen it done before where, in a metal box, instead of pigtailing all the grounds together and then attaching to a ground screw, someone pigtailed half of them together and attached them to a ground screw, then pigtailed the other half and attached them to another ground screw. (It was a 2-gang box made from 2 gangable metal boxes, so there were multiple holes that were designed to accept ground screws.)

I think this seems easier if there are a bunch of cables entering the box; for example, instead of trying to tie 8 ground wires together and connect to a ground screw, just tie 4 together and attach to one ground screw, then tie the 4 others together and attach to another ground screw.

Obviously there's still continuity between the grounds, but is there anything in the code that would prohibit this?
If you have 8 ground wires in a box (2 gang), you need to review your wiring layout and box fill. 8 #14 cables and 2 devices would require a 42 cu in box. #12 would require a 47.25 cu in box.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:53 AM   #4
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,120

Besides possible box fill violation in this scenario, as long as it meets code I don't consider any installation hack, rather a preference.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stickboy1375 For This Useful Post:
brric (02-03-2014), ddawg16 (02-03-2014), Know A Little (02-04-2014), plummen (02-05-2014), Speedy Petey (02-03-2014)
Old 02-03-2014, 07:02 AM   #5
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,162

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy1375 View Post
Besides possible box fill violation in this scenario, as long as it meets code I don't consider any installation hack, rather a preference.
I agree. I see NO problem in doing it the way you propose, but work out a better way of laying out your wiring so that you don't have EIGHT cables in a 2-gang box.
If you are doing the "spider" or "wagon wheel" layout where multiple circuits are fed out of that one box that is NOT the way professionals would do it, for this exact reason.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
Jim Port (02-03-2014), stickboy1375 (02-03-2014)
Old 02-03-2014, 10:04 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 180

ive seen that a lot on metal box, we almost never use wire nut on gnd unless there is more gnd wire than gnd screw available it make a cleaner box keeping the gnd on bottom of box

Last edited by carmusic; 02-03-2014 at 10:08 AM.
carmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:42 AM   #7

Just for clarification, the example with 8 cables wasn't necessarily a 2-gang box; I just wanted to make another scenario where this might be useful... maybe a 5-gang box (for a bunch of switches in one location or something).

I know I would also have to look at box fill, and I can't actually think of a new work situation where there would be 8 cables, but it could be useful.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:13 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,514

In my opinion, splitting the grounds between two screws is bad practice. If you tie 8 grounds together and someone removes/fails to replace that ground screw, you have one box that is no longer bonded.

If you split the grounds between 2 screws and someone removes/fails to replace one screw, you have four cables and everything connected to them that are no longer bonded back to the rest of the system.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:04 PM   #9
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,324

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso954 View Post
In my opinion, splitting the grounds between two screws is bad practice. If you tie 8 grounds together and someone removes/fails to replace that ground screw, you have one box that is no longer bonded.

If you split the grounds between 2 screws and someone removes/fails to replace one screw, you have four cables and everything connected to them that are no longer bonded back to the rest of the system.
That is not the fault of the install, but the idiot that failed to make the connections that needed to be made.
darren (02-05-2014), Know A Little (02-04-2014), Speedy Petey (02-03-2014), stickboy1375 (02-03-2014)
Old 02-03-2014, 03:16 PM   #10
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,162

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
That is not the fault of the install, but the idiot that failed to make the connections that needed to be made.
Exactly. You could "What if.." almost any installation and call it bad practice.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
jbfan (02-03-2014), jhartz (02-04-2014), stickboy1375 (02-03-2014)
Old 02-03-2014, 08:34 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 296

Quote:

I can't see any argument for one of these scenarios being definitively worse than the other.
JKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:40 PM   #12
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,120

Quote:

But it's not, because any hack will just hack it anyway...
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:58 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 270

Quote:

And this is done all the time (multiple Equipment grounds landed separately) in large junction boxes, panels and not an issue when the work is competed to code.
Know A Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:45 AM   #14
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartz View Post

Was it run with conduit between the boxes or is this a bunch of romex run to junction boxes youre dealing with?
Old 02-05-2014, 04:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by plummen View Post
Was it run with conduit between the boxes or is this a bunch of romex run to junction boxes youre dealing with?
In my house, the example I found was just a few Romex wires going to boxes; it was mostly just a theoretical question. (And, if it were conduit, I sure hope there wouldn't be that many ground wires )

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to jhartz For This Useful Post:
plummen (02-05-2014)

Tags
bonding , grounding , grounding screw