Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2011, 03:49 AM   #1

Share |

using light fixture to power 40" lcd tv?

Hi all this is my first time posting,

so my question is what do I need to determine if a power cable coming out of the wall is sufficient to power something like an 40" lcd tv? The power cable was used by a light fixture that was mounted on the wall in my flat and looks quite thick. So in other words if I can find out what the power consumption is of my tv how can I determine if the cable in the wall can supply it.

As a side note, I don't have a multimeter but I'm willing to purchase one, I'm just not sure what to look for if I'm going to use it on high voltage cables (220v).

For those wondering why the heck I'm asking this, here is the background story for the question:

So I'm planning to put a pool table in my lounge and because of space constraints I want to mount my tv on the wall so it remains visible from my couch and so that it wont get knocked over or bumped by a pool cue.

The problem is that I'm renting the place so I cant really just drill large holes into the wall without losing out on my deposit. After some thinking I spotted the wall mounted light, which happens to be in the perfect spot for my flat screen to be mounted.

So I got the idea that I can take off the light fixture mounted in the wall and place the bracket on top, so that I can cover up the holes when I move out by just replacing the light fixture.

So after removing the fixture (ensured the mains was off) I saw that it was simply a bulb fixture connected to wires coming out of the wall with a chocolate block (is this normal??). This lead me to the idea that maybe I can just power the tv from there which would be much more neat than cables running up the wall.

good idea? bad idea?

hoszor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:25 AM   #2

A light fixture cable is enough to power a TV set with.

Normal in-wall wiring even to just one light fixture is 14 gauge even going back 100 years ago. This can carry 15 amperes and the TV draws probably no more than 2 amps.

The only disadvantage is that for an old house there might not have been a ground wire.

It is not good to take the light fixture off the wall and splice on wires, in a rented apartment. But nothing keeps you from screwing a lamp socket to receptacle adapter into the lamp socket, plugging a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter into the former, and then plug in the TV power cord. Suggest adding a long bare wire from the ground lug of the 3 prong to 2 prong adapter and running that over to a known ground which could possibly be a radiator or which could possibly be the frame of the light fixture itself. (You will have to prove that it is grounded aka bonded to the grounding electrode system of the building.)

The cable coming out of the wall and attached to chocolate block (I think the official term is Bakelite (tm)) and then to the light fixture is probably grandfathered but making any changes would require installing a box in the wall for the cable and attaching any device (light fixture, duplex receptacle, etc.) to the box.

Last edited by AllanJ; 07-21-2011 at 06:38 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:31 AM   #3

It is an old house, but I saw some green wire stuck in the back of the hole where the fitting was, I'll check it out after work.
hoszor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:20 AM   #4
" Euro " electrician

Allen just give you a head up this OP is in either UK or Aussie area due the word flat so I know it is a apartment.

Now to OP

The light socket may be ok but all it depending on if on ring circuit or not { I know the UK required fused plugs on ring circuits due we don't have it in France }

Any other change you have to talk to the landlord or manger about the plans to drill thru the wall to support your tv.

And also there are some specfic regulations { codes } reguarding a light socket some will need it for egress or lumination purpose so if that room have only light socket in there then it will be best to leave it alone or ask the landlord to move other spot by using surface trunking { conduit or wiremold tubing }

Merci.
Marc

Tags
lcd, light fixture