Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2007, 07:15 PM   #1
COF
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2
Share |
Default

Using hair straightner with transformer...


I brought some GHDs in the US without thinking, (should have brought in the UK, even just the straightener is much cheaper). Anyway, I have a transformer that converts 110v to 220 and 100 watt, that I've used for a games console, but some have told me using a hair straightner with a transformer is still not a good idea. Will it not work as well? Or does it still run the risk of burning out even with a converter? The straightener is 20-25 watts, whether that is at it's normal running condition, or whether that's its maximum I don't know.

Thanks

COF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:59 PM   #2
Once fried, twice shy.
 
elkangorito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Thailand
Posts: 251
Default

Using hair straightner with transformer...


Quote:
Originally Posted by COF View Post
I brought some GHDs in the US without thinking, (should have brought in the UK, even just the straightener is much cheaper). Anyway, I have a transformer that converts 110v to 220 and 100 watt, that I've used for a games console, but some have told me using a hair straightner with a transformer is still not a good idea. Will it not work as well? Or does it still run the risk of burning out even with a converter? The straightener is 20-25 watts, whether that is at it's normal running condition, or whether that's its maximum I don't know.

Thanks
What is the supply frequency of where you intend to use it? 50 Hz or 60 Hz? What is the rated operating frequency of the hair straightener?

__________________
Switchboard design engineer & Licensed Electrician (Australia).
elkangorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:20 PM   #3
COF
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2
Default

Using hair straightner with transformer...


Quote:
Originally Posted by elkangorito View Post
What is the supply frequency of where you intend to use it? 50 Hz or 60 Hz? What is the rated operating frequency of the hair straightener?
The frequency of the supply I assume would be the standard 50Hz used in Europe, it's just a standard UK powerpoint. In looking through the manuel, it doesn't say anything about it opporating at 50Hz, so I can only assuming it's designed to opporate at 60Hz. Does the cycles make a huge amount of difference?
COF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:35 PM   #4
Once fried, twice shy.
 
elkangorito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Thailand
Posts: 251
Default

Using hair straightner with transformer...


Quote:
Originally Posted by COF View Post
The frequency of the supply I assume would be the standard 50Hz used in Europe, it's just a standard UK powerpoint. In looking through the manuel, it doesn't say anything about it opporating at 50Hz, so I can only assuming it's designed to opporate at 60Hz. Does the cycles make a huge amount of difference?

Assuming that;
a] the device is designed for 60 Hz,
b] you will be using it on a 50 Hz supply,
c] the device is inductive (uses a coil of wire as the heating element),

it may run a little warmer than normal, which may cause some damage to it over time.
__________________
Switchboard design engineer & Licensed Electrician (Australia).
elkangorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
door bell transformer install? THEBIGPUNN Electrical 2 09-09-2010 07:01 AM
Can I use lv transformer for coolbox? gord115 Electrical 4 06-23-2007 10:09 AM
Hair in tub drain danceken Plumbing 5 05-24-2007 08:53 PM
dead transformer otis_ofnh Electrical 3 02-11-2007 12:19 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.