Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2012, 09:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Using EMT to protect NM cable

Using EMT to protect NM cable running along side furring strips which I will not be able to easily maintain the 1 1/4" cable clearance. I have almost completed installing 1/2" EMT on the walls to the 4x4 boxes. A few questions that have popped in mind.

Obviously ream the EMT, but should I use Insulating bushings on the end of the EMT where it transitions back to NM cable or should I use the NM to EMT adaptor? I've heard of it done either way on older forums, just wondering if either is more desireable than the other by today's standards.

Also, I'm looking for information on how close to the end of the EMT must the pipe be secured. I couldn't find it in the code book. Is there a requirement as to how close to within the end of a piece of EMT used to protect a NM cable has to be secured? I know it's for sure spelled out if you use it as an entire system from point A to Z, but no mention that I'm seeing. I haven't seen anything in the 334.15, and I looked in the EMT section "358" and didn't see anything in reference to using it for protection. Quite possible I'm just looking right past it.

Thanks a bunch for your help guys. Here is a pic to give you an idea of what I'm up to.

kossuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

It's a good idea to protect the wiring. As a protective device rather than part of the electrical circuit you have a bit of leeway in fastening the conduit. But from what it looks like you know a bit about conduit bending and installation. Any reason you just don't do it all in conduit? And if you look around a bit you will find proper conduit techniques and I am sure that information will appear here from one of the other members. Good luck

Old 03-26-2012, 10:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
It's a good idea to protect the wiring. As a protective device rather than part of the electrical circuit you have a bit of leeway in fastening the conduit. But from what it looks like you know a bit about conduit bending and installation. Any reason you just don't do it all in conduit? And if you look around a bit you will find proper conduit techniques and I am sure that information will appear here from one of the other members. Good luck
Thanks, I used to do quite a bit of it when I was in the military many many years ago, so it's almost second nature (I hated doing it though LOL). I probiably could run conduit "all the way", but there are quite a few circuits that are going into just regular "timber" walls so for the sake of simplicity as far as wire running I figured it would be best to transition it.
kossuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:14 PM   #4
Licensed Electrician

Put a EMT coupling on the end of the stub ups, run the romex thru, and staple it within 1' of it entering the pipe...that's what I normally do. But there is nothing wrong with using romex to EMT connectors either.
k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:34 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,024

"Maximum support interval for EMT is 10 ft

In addition, must be securely fastened within 3 ft of each conduit termination(outlet box, junction box, device box, cabinet, conduit body, etc.)

Unbroken lengths of EMT can be fastened within 5 ft where structural members do not readily permit fastening within 3 ft."

All that being quoted, I think you are looking good where you have the EMT terminating. You do have the single hole straps there. Just get some EMT to NM connectors and finish up.

Nice bends on the EMT.
Attached Images

hammerlane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:56 AM   #6
Electrical Contractor

Or, a simple plastic bushing pressed into the open end of the pipe:

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kbsparky For This Useful Post:
Hardway (03-27-2012)
Old 03-27-2012, 08:05 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerlane View Post
"Maximum support interval for EMT is 10 ft

In addition, must be securely fastened within 3 ft of each conduit termination(outlet box, junction box, device box, cabinet, conduit body, etc.)

Unbroken lengths of EMT can be fastened within 5 ft where structural members do not readily permit fastening within 3 ft."

All that being quoted, I think you are looking good where you have the EMT terminating. You do have the single hole straps there. Just get some EMT to NM connectors and finish up.

Nice bends on the EMT.

big box stores have these?
Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,024

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardway View Post
big box stores have these?
If you are referring to the EMT to NM coupling I believe so.

hammerlane is online now   Reply With Quote