Using A 4-gang Box To Extend A 14-3 Wire - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2010, 10:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Using a 4-gang box to extend a 14-3 wire

I'm moving a 4 gang box down the wall a few feet due to a remodel which is requiring additional lights and light switches to the extent an additional 4 gang box will be required in the same general area.

I have enough slack in all wire going to the current 4 gang being moved to move it without problem with the exception of one 14-3 wire. This specific wire is coming from the sole plate and all others through the top plate with easy access from the attick.

The 14-3 wire needs extending but I cannot without tearing into finsihed drywall. Can I run this 14-3 wire into the new 4 gang box and extend it from there eventhough it will not have a switch in that 4 -gang box? Therefore using the 4-gang, which will have 4 switches, as a junction box for this wire. I found a extra deep 4-gang box that should provide adequote room for all switch wires + the 14-3 tie in.

Advertisement

notenoughtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:29 AM   #2
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,012

Using a 4-gang box to extend a 14-3 wire

Where are you located?

As long as you are not over the legal box fill, this should be fine. Here's an article on box fill (USA):

http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/home-...tions-2002.php

Advertisement

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote